How is F500 FLDP for M7 admissions?

Background Information

• Non-target Big 10 Finance major
  • GPA: 3.8
  • FLDP at a household name F500 company - 3 years work experience
  • GMAT: 720
  • Very good extra curriculars

How is this profile for MBA business schools">M7 MBA admissions (assuming the story makes good sense and essays are fine)? Is this person likely to get admitted to few of the top programs?

Can You Get into M7 from FLDP?

Getting in to business school depends on many factors, with work experience being one of the most important ones. While many on WSO tend to work or aspire to work in banking, MBA programs are also used to develop leadership and management skills. Many schools will be interested in why you want to attend their school and what you want to do with the degree.

As far as getting into an MBA business schools">M7 from FLDP, WSO user share their experiences:

• From WSO user @wallstreet101" : FLDP is probably one of the best work experiences for MBA admissions. You are learning to be a leader, getting to build relationships with executives, and get to see several areas of the business. Of course MBA ad com will eat that stuff up.
  • From Certified Private Equity Professional – Principal @CompBanker" : There are tons of folks from F500 companies at my school. They come from all different parts too, not just the leadership development programs. I'd definitely say that your stats seem typical of someone at an MBA business schools">M7 school, so you're at least going to be competitive against your peer group.
  • From Certified Corporate Development Professional – Director @harvardgrad08" : At my F500 tech co. every FLDP analyst over the past 10 years that has applied to an MBA business schools">M7 school has been accepted...this is about ~2-5 or so per year with ~80% attending HBS or GSB. From my understanding of the admissions process, the benefit of an LDP vs. banking or consulting is that you are not put in the same bucket as all of the banking, consulting, PE and VC applications...so it’s less competitive.

Recommended Reading

Best Response
AsianMonky:

Non target Big 10 Finance major - 3.8 GPA
FLDP at a household name F500 company - 3 years WE
720 GMAT
Very good ECs

How is this profile for M7 MBA admissions (assuming the story makes good sense and essays are fine)? Is this person likely to get admitted to few of the top programs?

In short, yes. It's a stretch but certainly enough of a shot that it's worth applying to 3-4 (as well as applying to 2-3 schools in the top 16).

Alex Chu www.mbaapply.com

MBAApply:
AsianMonky:

720 GMAT
Very good ECs

How is this profile for M7 MBA admissions (assuming the story makes good sense and essays are fine)? Is this person likely to get admitted to few of the top programs?

In short, yes. It's a stretch but certainly enough of a shot that it's worth applying to 3-4 (as well as applying to 2-3 schools in the top 16).

wallstreet101 said he thinks FLDP is better than banking for mba admissions for couple of reasons, would you agree?

MBAApply:
AsianMonky:

720 GMAT
Very good ECs

wallstreet101 said he thinks FLDP is better than banking for mba admissions for couple of reasons, would you agree?

Sure, but there are many people out there with a similar profile. A lot will depend on why you want to do an MBA and how the school will help you achieve your goals.

You are asking a banking forum about FLDP... This forum is so biased and full of high school/college kids. The truth is FLDP is probably one of the best work experiences for MBA admissions. You are learning to be a leader, getting to build relationships with executives, and get to see several areas of the business. Of course MBA ad com will eat that stuff up.

AsianMonky:

720 GMAT
Very good ECs

You seem like a great candidate to me

shrug

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Here's my take on it (disclaimer: this is my first year out of college, so until recently, I was the high-school/college-kid wallstreet101 is talking about):

People from firms like Goldman Sachs, Blackstone, BCG and even Google, Disney etc. do well for b-school admissions because -

(a) these places are ridiculously hard to get into and serve as kind of a filter (b) they are the leaders in their industry, and even analysts here tend to work on some of the most interesting problems that industry has to offer, making their work experience "rich". (c) they have people who went to the top schools and know what the schools are looking for (so guidance) (d) the people who get into these places are just generally quite driven

I think a F500 FLDP covers all these points, but to a slightly lesser extent. This is not to say that everyone at Blackstone > everyone at [insert-name-of-F500-firm], but when speaking generally, this is arguably true.

What will matter a lot is what YOU have done during your time at the F500 and what your recommenders have to say about you. It will not help you like an "elite" employer will, but it will not hurt you at all. So if everything else is kosher, you should be good for an M7. If it means anything - there are many post-MBA consultants who went to H/S/W at my firm who worked for F500 companies before their MBA.

consultingboi:

Here's my take on it (disclaimer: this is my first year out of college, so until recently, I was the high-school/college-kid wallstreet101 is talking about):

People from firms like Goldman Sachs, Blackstone, BCG and even Google, Disney etc. do well for b-school admissions because -

(a) these places are ridiculously hard to get into and serve as kind of a filter
(b) they are the leaders in their industry, and even analysts here tend to work on some of the most interesting problems that industry has to offer, making their work experience "rich".
(c) they have people who went to the top schools and know what the schools are looking for (so guidance)
(d) the people who get into these places are just generally quite driven

I think a F500 FLDP covers all these points, but to a slightly lesser extent. This is not to say that everyone at Blackstone > everyone at , but when speaking generally, this is arguably true.

What will matter a lot is what YOU have done during your time at the F500 and what your recommenders have to say about you. It will not help you like an "elite" employer will, but it will not hurt you at all. So if everything else is kosher, you should be good for an M7. If it means anything - there are many post-MBA consultants who went to H/S/W at my firm who worked for F500 companies before their MBA.

i agree with this. however, if M7 schools "bucket" applicants, and you're competing against other F500 FLDP for spots, it shouldn't be terrible. your competition for spots could well be a different set of people

Once again... this is a bankers forum. It is so biased. Take a look and see how many kids from General Mills, J&J, or GE FLDP programs get into the top MBA schools. Especially a school like harvard or standford would eat that shit up way more than a banking analyst who all they did for 3 years was plug away at excel. Top schools have been trending away from banking admits and thats why the miss information on this forum bothers me. FLDP>Banking in most cases unless maybe you are at GS or JPM

There are tons of folks from F500 companies at my school. They come from all different parts too, not just the leadership development programs. The unknown is how many people apply each year from these programs. It is really hard to say. So while they are definitely strongly represented in the class, it is unclear if your odds are good or bad. I'd definitely say that your stats seem typical of someone at an M7 school, so you're at least going to be competitive against your peer group.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

I'm at a F100 and just on top of my head I know 8 people (!) applying/trying to apply to MBA in the upcoming season. We average 1 guy to one of HBS/Stanford a year so I'd say it's pretty darn competitive (almost everyone has some sort of banking/consulting background)

West Coast Analyst:

I'm at a F100 and just on top of my head I know 8 people (!) applying/trying to apply to MBA in the upcoming season. We average 1 guy to one of HBS/Stanford a year so I'd say it's pretty darn competitive (almost everyone has some sort of banking/consulting background)

Are you at a "name-brand" F100? (I don't know if it matters though.)

Also - are/were any of those 8 people involved in the leadership development / rotation program for the company? I feel like a LDP will give you an edge in the admission process.

at my F500 tech co. every FLDP analyst over the past 10 years that has applied to an M7 school has been accepted...this is about ~2-5 or so per year with ~80% attending HBS or GSB. From my understanding of the admissions process, the benefit of an LDP vs. banking or consulting is that you are not put in the same bucket as all of the banking, consulting, PE and VC applications...so its less competitive. For example, if you are part of the LDP at a very brand name corp like a Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Disney, etc. you are being compared to all of the other random non-LDP applications from all corps. vs. being compared to the hundreds / thousands of banking, consulting, PE and VC applications.

OP we might be walking around the same building....very interesting to hear the comments of people with primarily banking backgrounds. I think people would be surprised how many non Wall Street people use this as really a top level career advice forum.

My stats are all but identical to the original poster and I plan to apply to m7 only. Each year we have about 7-12 people leave to b-school and if they don't go local they get into m7. Only 1-3 get HBS each year but its definitely possible.

Sure wish my company was tech/sexy industry (not shocked about harvardgrad's comment). What roles you get within your LDP will make a big difference too. The people I've seen go to h/s/w usually made it into corp dev or another higher profile role just before bschool.

Est consequatur eos natus velit. Saepe beatae rerum pariatur qui tenetur sit. Accusantium laboriosam assumenda nesciunt consectetur nihil. Omnis quaerat autem voluptas odit.

Eum voluptatem eum corrupti dignissimos temporibus sed. Quas at repellendus qui doloremque. Quasi iste non voluptas ratione expedita. Ut labore similique qui facere nobis similique. Ex voluptate qui esse doloribus voluptatibus sit eligendi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”