How wealthy would you say you have to be (approximately) to afford a trophy wife (e.g Rupert Murdoch, whose wife is almost 40 years younger), in later life? $5 million liquid? $10 million? Serious comments please.
How much money does it cost to find a trophy wife?
note: satirical piece originally written by @anaismalcolm
Enough to buy:
- one limited edition Birkin
- two pieces of Balmain (or whatever the equivalent must-have brand is that season)
- an updated Chanel jacket
- a full wardrobe update every season (designers ranging from Vince to Lanvin so mid to high price level)
- three other designer bags
- roughly $50k in jewelry
- a week-long vacation with spa treatments
- a major art purchase (bonus for a Rothko)
- monthly hair treatments
- weekly blowouts and mani's/pedi's
- one pair of designer shoes every two months
- at least one nice dinner out per month
- treating the girl's kitten/puppy luxurious care.
That's what -- 540k in expenditures?
NOT to mention rent on a fabulous place in the Village and other surprise shopping trips.
So you need to have enough income after taxes or savings to cover that and still feel comfortable.
You NEVER want to have to tell your trophy that she can't have something. At least those would be my qualifications.
...I didn't need all that money for my wardrobe, I told him playfully. Who in their right mind spends $700 on shoes? Apparently, now I did....
That day, I joked to David that I had "made" $1,000. It was the only money I was bringing in; I had quit my job six months into my marriage to pursue my writing.
In the meantime, I realized I had gone hogwild with my newfound spending power
.....sterling trays, Baccarat candlesticks, hatboxes filled with perfume, scarves, and Roger & Gallet soaps.....