How to best prepare for FP&A summer internship at Tech F500 company?

I would like to make a great first impression and hit the ground running as to increase my chances of getting that coveted return offer. Some background info: I am a junior in semi-target majoring in Finance, the internship starts in about 2.5 months.

Also, should I reach out to the recruiter about next steps or something? The last communication we had was two weeks ago where I signed the online contract and we exchanged emails on how excited we were to move forward.

Thanks!

Best Response

Every company does things differently- there is no way to know exactly what your responsibilities will be until you get there. That said, the best thing you can do is to brush up on excel (vlookup, sumif, pivot tables, index & match, nestled "ifs"). The other thing that you can do is to read the company's 10k, and listen to their most recent earnings call. They'll have their Q1 earnings call before you start, so listen to that as well. That way you'll know what products/services are in the spotlight right now, you'll know where the majority of their revenue comes from, etc. Understanding the company as much as possible from the outside is probably the best thing you can do before starting. I'd wait til the 4 week mark before following up. They're probably doing a background check, and those can take time. In order to get that return offer: 1) When given an assignment, ask when they want it finished. That way, you can determine how to balance speed and accuracy. In my internship I struggled with this at first- I kept doing things too quickly and not carefully enough, thinking that they were pressing and needed to be finished. Other times I would take too long making something perfect and I'd realize that it was due and I wasn't ready. Always ask. 2) You're an intern- it's ok if you don't know shit. They expect that. Don't be afraid to always ask about anything you don't know- just make sure that you rarely ask the same question twice. 3) On your first day and in your first week, try to meet everyone you sit near. This will make a great first impression, and if you wait too long it gets really awkward. Best of luck!

Ipsam dolore rerum sequi nostrum beatae. Cumque dolores saepe libero voluptate aut a ipsam quibusdam. Nisi omnis et et perferendis nulla qui sit. Sunt quia animi adipisci provident excepturi harum impedit temporibus. Odit porro molestiae id totam aut beatae magni. Pariatur dolorem nisi cupiditate dicta laborum quo commodi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”