IB Internship 2021 recruiting

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a junior at one of the lower ivies (think Dart/Corn/Brown) who just went through recruitment and didn't land anything. I believe a large reason why I didn't land anything/didn't get enough interviews (only got like 2 IB internships with MM firms) is because of my low GPA (~3.5 in an easy major). I'm going to delay my grad no matter what to go through recruiting again.

To best position myself for getting an IB SA internship, should I just stay at my current school, where I only have 3.5, or try to transfer to semi-target schools like Northwestern, where I have the opportunity to reset my GPA?

Thanks In advance!

No need to transfer to another school that is less or equal standing than the one you are at. Having 3.5+ and decent school is all you need, now go out and make meaningful connections that can help push your resume through to HR and get you an interview. Also should look at why you didn't get offers from places you interviewed and work on that front too.

I didn't get ANY interviews with BBs/EBs tho (only with some decent MM firms), so I assuming my gpa was a large problem. My peers who got BBs/EB interviews had similar profiles except a much higher gpa (~3.9).

Mmm I'm highly doubtful it was your GPA.

A 3.5 is fine at any strong school (lower ivies are definitely not gonna close any doors for you in the IB world). I went to a lesser school (T20 private) with BB and a couple EB's (not holy trinity; roths/gugg/ghl type).

Prior internships were really good but not IB/PE. Like someone else said, you probably didn't network enough (you need people truly batting for you).

1. GPA wasn't the issue
  2. if you transfer, you will still be asked about the old gpa

Imagine going to a target and crying about your school

Target School OCR IMO doesn't rlly help much if you can't be like the top 1% of kids in a highly competitive, extremely cutthroat university (might be different for HYPSW tho since they are top targets). A lot of my peers at Non targets still made it into IB (without taking out a dollar of loans).

you buggin, I have friends at cornell and dartmouth that landed top groups at BB with less than 3.5 GPAs.

if you can't land IB from an Ivy, sorry but you can't land it from any school.

Nihil delectus veniam aut. Modi aliquam consequuntur molestiae odit dolores. Dolore nihil possimus assumenda itaque nisi error dolores nihil.

Sunt necessitatibus incidunt eveniet labore consectetur. Non rem ea voluptas eum a. Soluta in et eius ut aliquam. Facilis error pariatur rem eligendi explicabo.

Aperiam numquam ipsam quos animi placeat ut. Incidunt rerum repellat aut ducimus. Assumenda omnis ea consectetur. Qui et provident sed laborum quo cum voluptatem. Ab velit eaque excepturi atque in unde. Sed harum corrupti mollitia nihil voluptas voluptatem consequatur. Expedita ut tempora amet aperiam rerum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”