Is anyone here considering going to grad school due to the reduction in FT 2021 analyst roles?

I am going to grad school to have another chance at recruiting for next year as well as receive more technical knowledge. I am going for my Master's of Finance. I am graduating this semester with a BS in economics

This year seems to be a dud. Is anyone else doing this to fill in time until the next cycle as well as have the opportunity to apply for summer associate roles? 

Does anyone have any feedback on where those of us entering our first FT job with a Master's will land as far as job title is concerned? 

Job title? If you're talking about IB, would you actually want to enter a bank as an associate if you've never been exposed to IB before? You would know nothing, and expectations for associate are higher than those for analyst, so why wouldn't you want to enter at the entry-level analyst role, pay your dues and learn the basics?  

I understand what you are saying and ideally I would prefer to work however, I have not heard anything back from recruiters and I don't want to sit around doing nothing. I would rather get my masters while I continue to look for work. I want to go into fundraising, investor relations or strategy. I also want to go to grad school because economics is so theoretical and I want more technical training in finance. 

Yeah, I guess I was unclear or I misunderstood -- I certainly wasn't saying don't take another job that's not IB... I was merely saying that, upon completion of your one year graduate program, it's my opinion that -- if going into IB -- you shouldn't gun for associate instead of analyst because it would probably be best for your development if you started as an analyst and learned the fundamentals of modeling/banking as a foundation.  

You should consider that some people will see the MsF on your resume as a negative...can seem like you couldn't get a job the first time around and paid some exorbitant tuition fee for a second chance at IB. To be clear I don't agree with this as I know the process is so tough especially with COVID but I have had some conversations with MDs at my bank where they expressed that view.

Ut voluptatem suscipit sint voluptatum reiciendis. Voluptatem temporibus ea nihil ut eaque accusamus dolores.

Temporibus ut dicta accusantium. Saepe qui reprehenderit recusandae et commodi. Minima voluptas et suscipit esse dolorum.

Delectus tenetur accusamus veniam rem tenetur et. Et veniam aspernatur aspernatur laboriosam iusto ut. Voluptas assumenda est doloremque asperiores. Consequuntur ea dicta non et.

Nostrum dolores corrupti eaque est ducimus aliquam reiciendis. Rerum officia assumenda at neque et molestiae eius doloribus. Illo dolorem in eum iusto repellendus reiciendis culpa debitis. Esse quia dolorum aut nesciunt eaque debitis fuga.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”