Its been almost 3 months since my 1st round interview

LondonE11's picture
Rank: Gorilla | 523

I interviewed somewhere back in the middle of march and received some neutral feedback from my last (most sr interviewer). Than about 3 weeks later, I get an email that says we would like to bring you in to meet some more people but because of XYZ, we'll contact you in about 2-3 weeks to setup an interview. (Note: XYZ is a perfectly legitimate and substantiated reason, just don't want to disclose it publicly) after 4 weeks, I just drop a follow up email to see what the status is, get a reply setting up the next interview. Was interviewed for 3+ hours and was told that they'll be done interviewing and will make a decision by the end of next week. Sent thank you e-mails, didn't get a reply for a week (after the time when they said they would have decided by) but the reply was positive and ended with something like "we will be speaking soon." That was a week and a half ago... should I e-mail them again to see whats going on?

Also... this is from a cold email, they weren't even in the market to hire. First interview was to see whats out in the job mkt(my interpretation) and 2nd was because they decided they should bring on some JR people. Im thinking maybe they're trying to stall so they can interview as many additional people as possible, but obviously they are still considering me since they haven't outwardly dinged me.....

any advice, should I e-mail again and give them a little prod? They also know Im already working at a BB, so its not like Im unemployed looking for a jobs 24/7... maybe they think Ill just hang around waiting...

Comments (12)

Jun 2, 2008

Why do you want to leave your BB? I'd send a follow up email at about the 2 week mark. Give them some time. Through my experience when it takes too long usually they have made an offer to someone else and they want to see if they accept. This happened to me 3 times already. Best of luck though!

Jun 3, 2008

why not call instead of emailing?

Or email to set up a phone call at a convenient time for them

good luck

Jun 3, 2008

I have a similar case.

I was invited to an interview to Accenture (no in the USA) for an intern position for this summer. I was seleceted at a case study competition, so did not have to apply.

I interviewed with one guy and was told they will let me know the result in 2-3 weeks. At the 4 week mark, I sent an email, asking what's up and got a call back from the HR lady telling me she did not have the chance to talk to my interviewer (in 4 weeks, c'mon). She was asking for my patience (for a little more time). 2 weeks after this call I sent another email, both to HR lady and my interviewer. It's been 3 work days since...but still no response.

Note: they promised the decisions 2-3 weeks after interview, but it's been already 6 weeks. What shall I do?

Jun 3, 2008

anyone else....

I know you have it in you.

Jun 3, 2008

Elan, normally I wouldn't recommend being too pushy and calling, but I think the circumstances demand it. From personal experience I know how annoying it is for a situation to drag on without getting a definitive answer.

I would caution you, however, in trying to switch firms in this market.

Also, much respect for the VBA skills!

Learn More

7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Technical, Behavioral and Networking Courses + 2 Bonus Modules. Learn more.

Jun 3, 2008

Cautious how... as in, I jump ship for the other job, and that firm goes under/downsizes?

Jun 4, 2008
elan:

Cautious how... as in, I jump ship for the other job, and that firm goes under/downsizes?

I think that's what he means. Basically, "Why would you leave your BB position (considering you have decent job stability) to move to another firm?"

My guess would be that it wouldn't be a lateral move. Would that be a correct assumption?

Jun 4, 2008

What are you doing at the BB right now? Something other than banking?

Either way, definitely follow up, and phone is probably better than e-mail at this point so you can get an immediate response from someone on the line

Jun 4, 2008

I'm not surprised at how long the process is taking for a lateral given the current state of the market. My guess is there's a need within the group but there's no clearance to hire any juniors from HR or above.

Jun 11, 2008

Same question, except for a buyside position (PE/HF), how long should I wait from final rounds before I can get antsy? If I call, should I get in touch with HR before the people I actually interviewed with?

Jun 11, 2008

Update: I e-mailed one of the most senior guys I interviewed with and established the strongest connection with. He said they have been interviewing but remain interested and will let me know by next(this) week. The weeks half over... getting pretty nervous now.

I think its more that I just cold e-mailed them without them having any openings. After meeting with me, I think they want to atleast feel out a few more candidates before deciding. Also don't think it helps that they do not have an immediate need, my resume just fell into their laps. But with all these lay offs, its really nerve racking, every day they dont extend me an offer is a day they could be interviewing an unemployed 1st or 2nd year with banking experience.

GameTheory-- its a pretty small shop(think 30-50 people) and I dont think they have a formal HR. Hopefully Ill be back on the forum any day asking you for some negotiating guidance.

Numi-- I'm in a back office position, this new position is restructuring/turn-around.

2Stop-- my current position is back office, I didnt bust my ass in school for the love of processing trades and catching other people's mistakes. I know JR level banking isn't much more glamorous, but its the beginning to the career trajectory I set out for in an area of finance I really enjoy. And at least its real finance. I think I'm one of the few people who got into this field because I want to do it and not for the money, cuz quite honestly I dont think its that much considering the alternatives.

Jun 14, 2008
Comment