Jane Street's New Internship Salary(125k or 10.4k a month)--Thoughts?

Hello Perspective Monkeys,

I'm just wondering what's your guys' take on this year's Jane Street Salary, which is 125k prorated, or 25k for 10 weeks. Is it almost outrougaus to pay an intern that much money while BBs are only paying 6k/month. I should also mention that JSC will send you to London or HK for a week, all expense paid.

Personally, I only made it to the round before the final round, so this figure is from a couple buddies of mine who are starting their internship this summer.

I'm assuming he left prior to 11? To my knowledge, even prop trading has gone down a bit for the last few years. But yes, low 7-figure for a 27 years old sounds amazing. I'm assuming he could probably retire he he stuck around till he's 30.

I believe he left in 2011 or maybe even 2012. It's possible that prop trading has gone down over the last couple years, but I cannot say for certain since it is not my area of expertise.

As for retiring when he's in his 30's... I think he could still do that after joining his tech start up. He is partner-level (instead of a regular employee) so he has been given a substantial amount of equity. He has also directly invested some of his own personal capital in the start-up. Still too early to say if they will be successful, but if the company does go public or get acquired by another company, well, he will be set for this lifetime and probably a couple more lifetimes to come...

OfficerGodzilla:

If they are paying that much, they can ask w/e they want and there are applicants out there that will be able to deal with it. But look at LTCM.

The people at LTCM had no common sense. If they were losing money that quickly they should have been quicker to pull the plug and re-evaluate. Instead they doubled down. It's hard to believe how terrible their risk management was.

mastertrader89:
OfficerGodzilla:

If they are paying that much, they can ask w/e they want and there are applicants out there that will be able to deal with it. But look at LTCM.

The people at LTCM had no common sense.

Stopped reading after this. Please be quiet.

[quote]The HBS guys have MAD SWAGGER. They frequently wear their class jackets to boston bars, strutting and acting like they own the joint. They just ooze success, confidence, swagger, basically attributes of alpha males.[/quote]

SonnyZH:
mastertrader89:
OfficerGodzilla:

Is that you Myron Scholes or does being a jerk on a message board make you feel like you're more of a man? Learn why they lost. They grossly underestimated the probability of extreme events like a Russian default and doubled down. They didn't have the common sense to say something's wrong here, we need to stop trading until we figure it out. With such an arrogant piece of crap attitude you have you'll probably blow your account someday yourself.

Hindsight 20/20, man. They had two Nobel Laureates; I think that given their historical performances, their line of thought wasn't too absurd. Anyone can read "When Genius Failed" and retrospectively call them idiots.

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for freedom of thought which they seldom use.

Best Response
mastertrader89:
SonnyZH:
mastertrader89:
OfficerGodzilla:

Is that you Myron Scholes or does being a jerk on a message board make you feel like you're more of a man? Learn why they lost. They grossly underestimated the probability of extreme events like a Russian default and doubled down. They didn't have the common sense to say something's wrong here, we need to stop trading until we figure it out. With such an arrogant piece of crap attitude you have you'll probably blow your account someday yourself.

Haha you mad? Did they? Really? You must be a Nobel Laureate.

You're applying for SA roles, what the fuck would you know about my attitude. Take your head out of your ass and be a little more humble, kid.

[quote]The HBS guys have MAD SWAGGER. They frequently wear their class jackets to boston bars, strutting and acting like they own the joint. They just ooze success, confidence, swagger, basically attributes of alpha males.[/quote]

Sounds very competitive with tech companies and start ups, which is who they're really competing with here. Interns and new hires can actually do substantial work vs. being a coffee runner so seems fair.

I've heard of starting base salaries in the low 6 figures for quants, quant traders and devs at a lot of Chicago shops now. Combined with the cost of living differential in NYC it doesn't seem that absurd. The real money is all about the bonus anyway. As long as your base is livable it shouldn't be a deciding factor.

And yeah I know guys fresh out of college pulling $100k+ and RSUs/equity at places like FB, GOOG or top startups. It makes sense to offer a similar base so their parents aren't hounding them about why they went to work for some trading company with an odd name for $60k + the carrot of a big bonus down the line.

Iusto et soluta voluptatibus tempore sit non et. Facere temporibus est culpa aliquid culpa omnis. Velit assumenda culpa repellendus et iusto. Consequuntur tempore labore consequatur nihil repellat eaque quo. Ut sequi quaerat quos saepe culpa. Molestiae sint pariatur tempore maiores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”