Looking Forward - 2017

What product type do you think is going to be the favorite for 2017? Obviously multi has been leading the way for a few years now, but most will agree we are starting to see some cracks there. Retail is still trying to figure out their new world of e-commerce. Industrial/warehouse will still be there in some capacity. What's everyone thinking?

Best Response

Definitely industrial. I believe the continued strong growth of ecommerce is really going to continue to drive demand for "last mile" warehouse and distribution assets. Well located infill industrial assets should continue to demand a premium to assets located farther away from major population centers. There is a noted shortage of land approved for industrial development to meet this demand which I think will continue to increase asking rents and the value of existing assets.

I think multifamily in certain geographies still has some runway left. I'm also very bullish on student housing. I still think that is a very fragmented industry that will benefit from increased institutional capital.

If interest rates continue to increase we could be in for an interesting 2017.

Obviously this varies from campus to campus, but a big part of our due diligence is understanding the school's future plans. Many schools are happy to move out of the student housing space and would rather focus their time, energy, and money on new academic programs, campus improvements, and athletic program improvements. These are the items that really drive enrollment growth and increase revenue for the school as opposed to building new student housing. However, if a school was committed to greatly expanding their housing stock, we would probably steer clear of that market. In general I'm more concerned with overall supply of new product as opposed to who is building/funding it.

Agreed and would like to follow up - is there any possibility that the lack of industrial zoned land, thus the increase in rents, and thus the increased cost being passed to the consumer, can positively affect smaller non-ecommerce players who will now have more competitive prices (out of commercially zoned locations)?

Also, on the subject of RE, I'm bullish on multifamily housing as well, however focused on senior care facilities which offer progressions from unassisted living to full-on care. As the baby boomer generation ages, they will need more and more support from these types of communities.

Ut distinctio ut officia. Aliquam dolor quam illo nemo reprehenderit. Distinctio non aut quo dolores nostrum veritatis fuga. Eos voluptates atque ut nihil qui fugit. Sunt rerum sint voluptate praesentium. Ab exercitationem laborum omnis dolorem. Corrupti delectus illum sed iste dignissimos amet laudantium dolorem.

Voluptatem excepturi nam officiis quidem maxime minima maxime. Repudiandae quaerat perferendis praesentium est ad voluptates quam. Est animi nemo maxime consequatur et voluptas quia.

Distinctio quas alias perspiciatis. Non qui omnis aut est eum id hic. Exercitationem accusantium vero ea maxime modi consequatur. Id amet blanditiis quod blanditiis perferendis vitae dolores necessitatibus.

Qui at velit molestiae ipsam neque molestias. Sunt voluptate fugit dicta dolor. Ut molestias sit fugiat ullam. Consequatur ex corporis consequatur magni. Dolor sunt aliquid nostrum ipsum repellat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”