Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 plane crash

You guys following the story of the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 plane from Kuala Lumpur en route to Beijing that lost contact a few hours ago? At this point the plane most certainly would have run out of fuel by now and must on the ground/water somewhere. It appears that the plane had a sudden drop of altitude 2 hours into the flight and then just lost all communications right after that.

This is very unsettling news for those of us who fly frequently. Plus If the plane went down in all hands it would be the first time something like this happens to a Boeing 777, the safest plane in the world right now. Also it called my attention that normally when a plane runs into trouble it is either right after it takes off or as it attempts landing. Once it reaches cruising altitude the plane is set to auto-pilot and it is all smooth sailing from there until they are near destination. As such, it is highly unusual that something would happen to this plane when it is 2 hours into its almost 6 hours flight and it is eerily reminiscent of what happened to that Air France plane a few years ago.

I wonder if terrorism is involved, in light of the knife attack that just happened in China and the fact that this plane is heading to Beijing from a predominantly Muslim country. Thou Malaysia has never been known for radical islam elements, you never know who was onboard that plane.

Update: Now it looks like the plane went down in South China Sea under Vietnam jurisdiction and is in all likelihood in pieces. RIP all those onboard. Hopefully they recover the black box soon and find out what exactly happened.

Holy shit. My condolence to the victims' families.

If it does happen to be a terrorist attack, China will have an even better reason to really deal with the separatists in Xinjiang and Tibet (even if they are not directly involved). This actually gives them a great excuse to act more aggressively at home. Anyone going against the Communist party or show signs of being displeased with society will be treated even more brutally from now on imho.

New update. Now it looks like previous report that Vietnam picked up plane signal over the ocean was false. I really hope they did not receive any transmission from the plane over the ocean as that would mean everyone onboard is dead. If they discover the transmission over land at least it would entail that some people might have survived.

The guardian has been tracking the latest updates from reliable sources: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/08/malaysian-airlines-plane-l…

Too late for second-guessing Too late to go back to sleep.

Best Response

Yep looks like it. If the plane crashed into the sea then in all likelihood not only won't there be any survivors but they would be lucky to find any body parts of the diseased. When a plane plunges 35,000 feet into turbulent sea water it would disintegrate instantly along with everything in it, assuming that it hadn't fall apart already during the plunge.

According to The Airlines' news conference, highjacking was unlikely. Still it was quite possible that someone detonated a bomb onboard. This would explain why the plane suddenly lost all communications. If that is the case then even the black box won't tell us much about what happened. Assuming that this was an act of terrorism, it would reflect gross inadequacy in the security measures of Kuala Lumpur airport. Supposedly the plane disappeared right after the passengers had their breakfast service...talking about the last meal.

This is starting to look like the storyline of a thriller movie. Apparently at least 2 passengers on that plane were impostors using stolen passports, from Austria and Italy respectively. So who were the impostors and would would they need to use others' passports? Italian and Austrian nationals do not need Visa to enter Malaysia but they do need them for China so presumably they fooled the Chinese consulate too?

This whole story reminds me of the bojinka plot that almost went into motion in the early 90s.

I definetly don't think this was a technical/human error. The pilot had 18k+ hours in the bag, which is massive. Also the fact that at least two passengers used stolen passports doesen't help.

What's super weird is that there're no floating debris/parts, only some sorts of oil slicks that we aren't even sure are from the jet.

If it had fallen apart before hitting the sea, definitely there'd be something floating that we would've identified by now. If it had plunged and hit the water hard, then again there'd be debris from the sudden break. The only way that the accident left nothing behind on the surface was that the plane slowly descended head on towards the water and kept coming down. Highly unlikely, or impossible for that matter.

Given that there has been no phone call back home from any passengers, I assume that there'd be no point in believing in a magical turn of event atm. RIP the passengers.

Nothing is true; everything is permitted.

The craziest thing about this to me is the lack of information. I understand the water they were flying over was massively huge but to know/report NOTHING? Screams cover up to me and I'm not one for wild conspiracies.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

Calling it now - just an elaborate publicity stunt for LOST: The Movie, coming to theaters in November 2014.

..or terrorism. Probably terrorism.

"I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people."

Looks like the two impostors had their tickets paid for by a mysterious Iranian business man "Mr. Ali". Also security footage shows one of them to be black...hmmm I didn't know there are many black Italian/Austrian nationals out there that it didn't raise eyebrows at Malaysian airport security.

If this turns out to be a terrorist plot and the Iranian is behind it, he must be a rogue terror mastermind acting against the wills of the Iranian government as China is one of the few allies Iran has in the world right now.

There was a group from China claiming responsibility, but authorities have brushed it off. It might indeed be a terrorist act given the whole passport fiasco, but I'm baffled by the reason behind such an act. Why China/Chinese? How did they manage to get their bomb through security? Or if it wasn't a bomb, why did they choose to crash the plane into the sea instead of, god forbid, a building or a city?

Still can't believe authorities know NOTHING about what happened to this massive hunk of metal. Each new bit of information they give us throws up millions of other questions. Latest is that they think it reversed it's course and flew right back across Malaysia, UNNOTICED!

It may be tin foil hat time and admit it was aliens.

Well now the theory of terrorism is almost out of the window as the identities and destinations of the two impostors have been revealed. And then there's this news about the plane flying back across Malaysia to the West side that the Malaysian Army is still reluctant to confirm. If we don't find anything there, I feel like we actually run out of place to look for this plane.

Ezio Auditore:

Well now the theory of terrorism is almost out of the window as the identities and destinations of the two impostors have been revealed. And then there's this news about the plane flying back across Malaysia to the West side that the Malaysian Army is still reluctant to confirm. If we don't find anything there, I feel like we actually run out of place to look for this plane.

It means that the two impostors were not terrorists but this can still very much be a case of terrorism, given that the plane was deliberately navigated hundreds of miles off course. If they did that for mechanical reasons the flight crew could have readily communicated with the airports. In this case it would likely mean that members of the flight crew were involved and took over the cockpit. There is just so much misleading information and false flags in this case.

Officiis et ipsum distinctio error. Praesentium doloribus perspiciatis vero qui.

Maxime amet voluptatem dolor at voluptas. Ea quia aut quam sapiente facere. Commodi rem est occaecati et nihil impedit enim. Eum ut et sint eveniet expedita aspernatur aut. A maxime corrupti quod sapiente expedita aut omnis voluptas. Omnis quis et omnis dolor qui assumenda. Est quis quae corrupti in aliquid.

Quam blanditiis sunt accusamus deserunt. Dignissimos est consectetur itaque voluptatum fuga veniam. Vel hic enim doloremque dolor ipsum ea. Rerum distinctio perferendis quo aliquam ratione deleniti.

Accusantium maiores rem dolorem eaque eum. A molestiae ipsam laborum vel corporis illo. Ex ut quia sapiente excepturi ab quam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”