MSRE(D) Applicants Fall 2018

I wanted to start a thread related to MSRE application for Fall 2018.

I think it would be great if you guys could share where you have applied to and on what stage of the admission process you guys are currently in. Thanks!

NYU / Admitted
MIT / Waiting for response
Cornell / Interviewed
Columbia / Admitted
USC / Ding
University of Florida / Admitted

Low 700s / semi-target state school gpa ~3.6 / 3yrs work exp in finance

Honestly, I wasn't aware of GA Tech and Berkeley's program. Even if I did, I would have only applied to above listed schools.

I prefer Cornell's Baker program. I am aware that networking/job hunt would be difficult because of geographical remoteness, but I believe that if you know your stuff and are presentable, I don't see it as a huge problem. Also, first job upon graduation does significantly effect one's career trajectory. However, wanting to start my own firm in the future, I am more concerned about the experience than the pay and prestige of the firm, so I may not be concerned as much as others on networking.

How was the app process at Cornell and how did you show your interest in RE with no prior experience? I'm applying for fall 2019 but don't have prior RE experience. I have 2 years WE in Finance.

Temujin RE:
What were your grades, test scores, and work experience before applying? Specifically for Georgetown and Johns Hopkins, what did they focus on? How long was the process?

Grades were shit, I took the GRE not the GMAT and while I can't remember exactly what I got they were essentially good not great. Work experience was solid though and much of the process is just fit - interviews, your essays, your goals, etc.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

JmS1:
Any insight into which program is better between the Georgetown and Johns Hopkins? Got into both so want to decide between the two for a part-time program? Is one seen as more prestigious in the DC community?

I'm not tied into DC enough to know, to be honest. There are a number of Georgetown grads on this board though.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

If anyone has more information on the mdes, would love to hear of it! Waitlisted at MIT

Stats: 5 years of experience in architecture as a designer in the commercial sector Gre: average Goals: adaptive reuse / development

Currently looking at the NYU program. I'd like to learn the investment side of the business as well as the development side, but obviously I can't get both an MSRE and an MSRED. Any advice? I'm working in an investments sales role that isn't really an analyst job (no modeling) and graduated from college this past year.

MIT: Ding USC: Admitted Columbia: Admitted I am a little bumped by the MIT decision.

Personal Stats: Gmat: 710 GPA: 3.5 Exp: Two year experience in a global architecture design firm; two year experience in a San Francisco local real estate development firm; a startup entrepreneur experience as a co-founder Edu: Bachelor of Arch and Master of Arch.

architectlian:
MIT: Ding USC: Admitted Columbia: Admitted I am a little bumped by the MIT decision.

Personal Stats: Gmat: 710 GPA: 3.5 Exp: Two year experience in a global architecture design firm; two year experience in a San Francisco local real estate development firm; a startup entrepreneur experience as a co-founder Edu: Bachelor of Arch and Master of Arch.

Stupid question..what is ding?

Best Response

From my understanding, some of the MSRE's don't require a GMAT score, and you could get dinged if you submit a 'not-so-great' score since it's another data point to compare you to (from the admissions counselors themselves). MIT requires GMAT I believe.

Accepted to Georgetown and NYU MSRE. 3.2 gpa undergrad ~5 years of related RE experience. Honestly think the essay was a stronger part of the app piecing everything together.

Of note with the NYU program, it's 42 credits. The full Stern MBA is 60 credits, but those additional 18 credits cost a disproportionate amount more (yes I understand it's a different school/faculty/course focus). I looked hard at the NYU/Columbia MBA but the cost is crazy.

Considering applying for the full MBA the next go around and try to transfer in some MSRE courses. Figure at that point I have nothing to lose if I get rejected. Can still come out with a Masters and half the debt.

Repellendus ab porro doloremque ut fugiat vel. Sit non natus est blanditiis. Impedit voluptates iure omnis.

Eius laudantium vel molestias reiciendis quod ex voluptatem. Ut quam fugiat voluptas perferendis et et. Et optio adipisci nemo dolorem non. Mollitia labore eaque earum recusandae quisquam maxime.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”