NBA Free Agency 2012

Some interesting storylines so far. Let's start with my Brooklyn Nets (I'm a Jersey guy, but I guess I'm still gonna root for them after their move to New York since there really isn't another pro basketball team in the area I like).

Deron Williams chose to re-sign with the Nets for 5 years and $98 million, but the Nets had to make a lot of moves to convince him it was the right thing for him to do. They took on Joe Johnson's albatross of a contract (the richest in the league) for a player whom many believe is past his prime. They signed Gerald Wallace to a 4 year, $40 million contract which again seems like a lot of money to be taking on for a player of Wallace's caliber and age. Add to that the fact that they signed Reggie Evans and a Bosnian player called Mirza Teletovic who hasn't proven a thing in the NBA (to a $5 million a year deal!) and the possibility of trading for the one man the Nets have been going after the hardest for the past year, Dwight Howard, is gone. The math just doesn't make sense now with all the money that has been committed to the existing players on the Nets roster. In all likelihood, Howard was never going to be traded to the Nets because Orlando didn't like what the Nets were offering, but it just seems like the Nets jumped the gun prematurely by signing these lesser players (Evans and Teletovic).

As for the Hawks, new GM Danny Ferry has been a busy man. In a little more than a week's time, he's managed to shed the Hawks of their two biggest contracts (Joe Johnson to the Nets and Marvin Williams to Utah in a trade for Devin Harris) to clear cap room. There's talk now that a new big three can be formed in Atlanta with Chris Paul, Josh Smith, and Dwight Howard (via a trade that would send Al Horford and Jeff Teague to Orlando). I personally don't see it happening, but hey, I'm not one for crushing people's dreams, so dream on.

Other players making some noise this offseason are Eric Gordon, Steve Nash, Jason Terry, Ray Allen, Jeremy Lin, and Landry Fields. Gordon has been offered a max contract ($14.5 million per year) by the Suns and the Hornets are set to match that offer. Gordon has told ESPN's Chris Broussard that his heart is in Phoenix (really...?), so that signing looks like a foregone conclusion. Nash has a bunch of suitors so far, namely the Knicks, Mavericks, Lakers, and Raptors (for the Canadian market). He hasn't indicated where he will go yet, but it's a sure thing that wherever he goes he will be grossly overpaid (he will definitely improve any team he joins, though). I think his best fit is with the Knicks, which will re-unite him with Amar'e Stoudemire and hopefully turn Carmelo into less of a ball-hog, but we'll see.

Jason Terry looks like he's going to the Celtics and he's busy hammering out a deal with them. This pretty much nuked any chance of D-Will going to Dallas. Ray Allen is visiting the Heat and Clippers this week. The Clippers don't really make sense, but the Heat do if Allen wants 1 or 2 more rings before he retires. J-Lin is visiting the Rockets, one of the teams that cut him early on in his career, today. Looks like all that talk about the Knicks giving him his chance and how grateful he is to them was all a bunch of shit, as expected. It's all about the money in this league. And finally, Landry Fields has signed with the Raptors for 3 years and a little under $20 million. Not a big loss for the Knicks since they'll hopefully use the cap room to sign Steve Nash.

So yeah, lots of things happening right now. Which teams have done the best so far? The worst? Who do you think will land D12? Or is he staying in ORL? How does the landscape of the Eastern Conference change after all this?

D12 stays in Orlando until next season's trade deadline.

Atlanta misses the playoffs regardless of what they do.

Miami declines due to D-Wade's knee and a lack of depth.

Melo has no impact.

Chicago loses in the first round.

Toronto gets Nash and a few other pieces and makes it to the Eastern conference final, where they lose to Boston.

Boston looses to OKC in 7 games.

In essence, the Lakers got Howard and Nash for Bynum, Lamar Odom and draft picks...highway fucking robbery. Orlando just got raped up the ass. Denver comes away from this with Andre Iguodala and the Sixers get Bynum. I can't believe the Magic agreed to this deal. They could've gotten Brooke Lopez but instead this is what they end up with.

design:
In essence, the Lakers got Howard and Nash for Bynum, Lamar Odom and draft picks...highway fucking robbery. Orlando just got raped up the ass. Denver comes away from this with Andre Iguodala and the Sixers get Bynum. I can't believe the Magic agreed to this deal. They could've gotten Brooke Lopez but instead this is what they end up with.
Did Orlando unload any of those awful contracts they had on the books?
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

happypantsmcgee:
Did Orlando unload any of those awful contracts they had on the books?
It looks like Orlando managed to dump Jason Richardson and Chris Duhon, but they're taking on Al Harrington and Aaron Afflalo, which isn't much better...

design:
They could've gotten Brooke Lopez but instead this is what they end up with.

ORL is going the OKC route and starting from scratch. The deal with BKN required ORL to take on Lopez at the MAX contract. He is not a max player and you eat up a ton of cap room that way.

notaspammer:
bfin:
But trading him to the clippers did...Because Eric Gordon and Chris Kaman caused potential new owners to drool over the prospects of owning that franchise? Good joke.

Being too good to contend for the top lotto picks and not good enough to contend for the title is the worst position to have in this league. Look at the Rockets, they're stuck in limbo. You can add the Hawks pre-Johnson trade too.

If the initial trade went through that's exactly where the Hornets would've been.

notaspammer is correct. And lo and behold, the league sold the Hornets to Tom Benson, owner of the Saints.

This deal still needs approval from the man himself David Stern, so we could see a repeat of last summer.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

That was retarded. Magic got fleeced and didn't even get rid of the Turkoglu contract. I understand them not wanting to see Dwight in the east, but they still would've been better off taking Brooklyn's offer.

I doubt there will be a repeat of last summer, Stern vetoed the Paul trade because NO was league-owned and the trade didn't bring in the type of players that would entice new owners.

notaspammer:
That was retarded. Magic got fleeced and didn't even get rid of the Turkoglu contract. I understand them not wanting to see Dwight in the east, but they still would've been better off taking Brooklyn's offer.

I doubt there will be a repeat of last summer, Stern vetoed the Paul trade because NO was league-owned and the trade didn't bring in the type of players that would entice new owners.

But trading him to the clippers did...Because Eric Gordon and Chris Kaman caused potential new owners to drool over the prospects of owning that franchise? Good joke.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

Best Response
bfin:
notaspammer:

Being too good to contend for the top lotto picks and not good enough to contend for the title is the worst position to have in this league. Look at the Rockets, they're stuck in limbo. You can add the Hawks pre-Johnson trade too.

If the initial trade went through that's exactly where the Hornets would've been.

So Orl didnt wanna pay Ryan Anderson, admittedly thus far a product of SVG's system (he sucked in the playoffs without Howard) for an annual $8m but willingly took on Al Harrington for $8m. Beyond stupid. I didnt think anyone would beat Dolan's decision to let Lin leave but Orlando managed to one-up him. Fantastic.

Like what Philly did, huge upgrade for them. However if I was the Lakers, I would have explored a Pau for Iggy trade(as much as I like Pau) if that option was available/discussed.

Odio necessitatibus quia quisquam et doloribus asperiores est. Sequi fuga eos distinctio nemo nostrum consequatur. Rerum nisi voluptatem maiores vero. Qui alias unde quaerat voluptate non nam consectetur.

Incidunt aut nihil facere itaque. Illum aut ipsam et voluptate laudantium. Non et ut ut aut. Qui quia necessitatibus sed deleniti dolorem ad.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”