Starting in consulting to F500?

I know this isn't that consulting-based, but it is partially, so I figured I'd post it here as well.

My ultimate goal as of now (who knows how I'll feel 5-10 years from now) is to end up in some sort of upper level position at a F500. I'm an accounting major at a public Florida university, so I'm not exactly at a target school obviously. I plan to do a master's in accountancy either here, at Baruch, or somewhere in Chicago in order to have enough credits for a CPA. I enjoy studying accounting, but am feeling like I've pigeonholed myself into ONLY being able to have an accounting career in the future. Finance and consulting also seem interesting to me.

So my question is, if my ultimate goal is a nice "upper level" position at an F500, what would be the best place to start? Is Big 4 audit a good path? How about a second tier consulting firm like Oliver Wyman? Is it even likely that I could break into OW as an accounting major at a non-target school? Is it as impossible for a non-target student to go to a second tier firm like that compared to MBB?

Thanks for any help, --Art Vandelay, Importer/Exporter

4 Comments
 

Oliver Wyman/Booz/etc aren't going after candidates from non-targets.... These firms are as selective as MBB, and only recruit from a handful of schools.... so pinning your hopes on these firms isn't really a good strategy. However, firms such as Accenture/BAH/Big 4 advisory practices do cast a wider net, so you will likely have a better chance there.

 
Best Response
ochoOliver Wyman/Booz/etc aren't going after candidates from non-targets.... These firms are as selective as MBB, and only recruit from a handful of schools.... so pinning your hopes on these firms isn't really a good strategy. However, firms such as Accenture/BAH/Big 4 advisory practices do cast a wider net, so you will likely have a better chance there.

Thanks, I was thinking about Accenture as well. I'm still not that educated on this, so I wasnt sure how selective OW is compared to MBB, as well as Accenture.

 

Omnis nobis commodi dolorem. Nobis repudiandae quia quos ut aut aut. Quisquam quaerat rem voluptas modi sit itaque aut. Ex voluptas saepe dicta architecto non. Ipsa vel magnam quam est facere. Ad assumenda ab commodi ex accusantium provident suscipit. Et fugit molestiae voluptates non.

Commodi cumque dicta expedita voluptatem nisi autem exercitationem unde. Et ratione dolor ut asperiores. Sed libero est quia placeat quos pariatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Consulting

  • Boston Consulting Group 99.5%
  • Bain & Company 98.9%
  • McKinsey & Company 98.4%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.9%
  • LEK Consulting 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Consulting

  • Cornerstone Research 99.5%
  • Bain & Company 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group 98.4%
  • McKinsey & Company 97.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Consulting

  • Bain & Company 99.5%
  • Boston Consulting Group 98.9%
  • McKinsey & Company 98.4%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.9%
  • LEK Consulting 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Consulting

  • Partner (4) $361
  • Principal (30) $294
  • Director/MD (59) $274
  • Vice President (53) $245
  • Engagement Manager (114) $233
  • Manager (171) $173
  • 2nd Year Associate (185) $142
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (116) $137
  • Senior Consultant (355) $132
  • Consultant (642) $122
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (164) $121
  • 1st Year Associate (577) $121
  • NA (16) $114
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (393) $104
  • Associate Consultant (176) $101
  • 1st Year Analyst (1168) $90
  • Intern/Summer Associate (208) $83
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (640) $68
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”