For 1,200 a month, you can find something in Bayside Queens (about a 30 - 35 min commute). There's always morningside heights, just beware of the crackheads.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

From a commuting standpoint - Hoboken isn't bad, but if you go out in the city on weekends, it's brutal getting back late at night. You're either waiting 30min for the PATH or taking the Port Authority Bus at 2am-4am which is an experience and a half.

Maybe look into Astoria, Queens. Also, lots of people do the Hoboken --> NYC commute... I guess its easier if you're working in the financial district but I know plenty who commute to midtown. Now imagine living in the suburbs 1.5 hours north of the city, accessible only by trains so packed you will rarely ever get a place to sit or stand for the entire 1.5 hours ;) ... oh, and during the summer the GCT platforms feel like 20 degrees warmer than outside - there are worse commutes OP

Roosevelt Island. It's definitely not neighborhoody or does it have much to do, but it's connected to the F line and you have the tram. It may be tough to find that rate in the new buildings, but the legacy ones should have that rate.

I'm also guessing that you don't have a lot to put away for a security deposit/broker commish. Most buildings on RI don't seem to have broker fees nor ask for security deposit.

If you need to be in Manhattan, you'll have to get roommates. When I was in my mid 20s, we fit 5 dudes into a 5br apt on the UES. I paid about 1k every month. It wasn't glamorous by any means, but we made it work.

conyak:

Depends on where your office is. My office is in midtown east and I get here from Harlem in about 20-25 mins. I live alone but with a few roommates, the price point of around 1200 is possible. It all depends on what kind of building you want to live in and proximity to the train.

If you have roommates, then you don't live alone...i'm just saying. I understand you're trying to say, you don't live at home, but you're still not alone. When you live solo, and pay all the rent, that's living alone.

Commuting from Hoboken to Manhattan is easy! The PATH gets you into Midtown in like 15 minutes. Come talk to me when you're commuting from deep in Queens, or out deep in LI or CT. As far as living on $1200/mo, i'm assuming you're only talking about Rent, and not utilities included. Deep in Queens(Bayside, Murray Hill, Whitestone, South Queens), or way up in the Bronx are your best bets.

techjobsyankee:

Bronx - serious question - how safe is it these days?

depends where in the BX you're at. I mean, if you're in Soundview, Castle Hill, South Bronx, it can be a little dicey at times, but the Bx(& NYC as a whole) isn't the same as it used to be in the 80s & 90s. It's way safer now than back then.

Try Long Island City (not the brand new buildings) which is just over the river in Queens. I have a 2 bedroom and pay $1,125 each. The 7 runs right into Grand Central and Times Square where you can switch to almost any other subway line. My commute into Midtown is about 15 minutes total each way.

When I was looking I also found plenty of places in the Upper East Side between 80th and 90th street on 2nd and 3rd Ave in the $1,200 range for a 2-bedroom. Also some place 1 bedroom places in Midtown East that could be flexed into 2. You can try the Financial District but I find a lot of the deals are dishonest and the rooms to be unlivable at that price.

Use streeteasy.com and nakedapartments.com and line up a bunch of viewings in a day (I saw about 20) to see what you are working with. Don't be surprised when the brokers don't show up or are late. At $1,200 you are going to have to compromise on something (generally one tiny bedroom, a really small kitchen, a hike to a subway, etc) so don't expect to find the best apartment ever.

Depends on your office, if you are midtown. You could do the following: (ALL INCLUDE ROOMMATES 1 Bedroom Flex or tiny 2 bedroom) 1) Queens, anything on the F train or NQR in Astoria is a longer commute but inside your price range. 2) UES, Upper portion of your range and no real space. (You won't be home much anyway) Walk to work 3) UWS / Morningside Heights/ Hamilton Heights, more homey / roomy. Less popping bars, but good restaurants!! Can take 1/2/3 train in for an easy commute.

If you are downtown, 1) Lower East Side / Chinatown. it will be small and probably dirty but you can get by with a roommate. 2) Brooklyn for more space but longer commute

I can't speak about NJ, but heard its not too bad.

Jersey City - Journal Square, get a room, not an apartment. (YOU WILL SAVE THE MOST WITH THIS)

I would avoid East Harlem, West is nice but still ain't cheap (for your budget, at least) and it won't be spacious. Unless you don't give a shit.

Brooklyn is good too, for an apartment share. At MINIMUM, a decent 1 br is ~1700

Just stay in Hoboken, cough up $1000 for an apartment share. A majority are young professionals... You can stay in exchange place in Jersey City, but it's NYC price but you get the square footage.

Conclusion... Either stay in Hoboken or Grove St in Jersey City. Both areas is nice and not ghetto, but you won't be able to afford your own apartment.

Yes, journal square is easily affordable with his budget. But not a lot of grocery stores except for those corners store and taking the path (train) sucks at night, its a decent area and I say it's fairly safe... jersey city in the back close to Bayonne, you might want to avoid. like martin luther king ave or st, not sure the exact name. the only downfall of JC is having your own car unless you don't drive... JC doesn't really have anything in between, its either upscale or mildly lower class area.

For whatever it's worth, everyone I know living in Hoboken is doing so by choice because they prefer it to Manhattan and are paying pretty much the same rents to be there. Maybe that's just my experience, but if you don't like it I wouldn't do it since it's hardly a way to save $ at all.

Depends where in Manhattan you're working, but Hoboken generally is not a bad commute.

Somebody mentioned Bayside, you can absolutely live there for 1200. I lived out there and if you are near the LIRR stop, you'll have a 25-30 minute commute to Penn. But make sure you're near the train - if you aren't, good luck parking by it, and you'll then be stuck taking an Express Bus, which is horrendous.

If you work downtown you can check out the north shore of Staten Island. Staten Island Ferry is free.

Or, find a roommate or two. I lived in Midtown Manhattan for 3 years with 2 roommates, paying just under 1200 a month.

Consequatur qui non in. Consectetur placeat non architecto cupiditate et.

Cupiditate voluptate qui perspiciatis eum. Maxime similique sed magnam iste sed ut. Laudantium doloremque voluptatibus explicabo et illo eum fugit quis. Aut sunt itaque ipsum sit dolorem.

Quia ad exercitationem quibusdam nemo id expedita perspiciatis nihil. Accusantium qui alias suscipit qui temporibus.

Laudantium qui magnam voluptas aut qui. Non quia provident sint modi illo. Id tempore dolores quisquam et nihil quasi. Voluptas eum ut esse porro vel veniam unde doloribus. Aut sint autem odit nesciunt autem quo inventore excepturi. Modi nisi beatae qui quidem beatae expedita adipisci sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”