Piper Jaffray Nearing Deal to Buy Sandler O'Neill for $485 Million

Per WSJ: https://www.wsj.com/articles/piper-jaffray-nearin…

What are everyone's thought on this? Obviously Sandler is a player in small/mid size banking and brings an end to the Sandler O'Neill name that saw them survive the September 11th terrorist attacks. Always though this was a good, inspiring read:
https://fortune.com/2015/09/11/september-11-sandl…

"Sandler’s investment bankers were determined not to abandon a single deal—both as a matter of pride and to send a signal to the Street that the firm was open for business. So it was that on Sept. 12—yes, Sept. 12—they filed to underwrite a long-planned secondary offering."

They have worked on some of the largest and most prominent FIG deals as well. Great firm from what I hear on the street. Don't like this deal and really liked them as a private firm.

Piper definitely won on this one. I am currently at a tier 1 FIG team and have worked across the Sandler guys on a number of deals. Extraordinarily smart people there. Not sure what it means for Sandler as a name going forward.

I second this - worked for a community bank in treasury that they covered and was always impressed by the analyst from Sandler’s questions. Them and KBW..

Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.

PJC trying to replicate the success SF has had with KBW. Bet the Sandler name stays for FIG (though Piper Sandler O'Neill is a mouth full). Wouldn't be surprised if they're considering ways to build/buy a decent wealth platform as well.

KC

Per article they are going with Piper Sandler’s.. sounds like Adam’s mom

Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.

That is incorrect, Piper is purely an institutional shop. They sold their wealth management business years ago, so it wouldn’t make sense for them to re-enter the market. Sandler does a fair number of corp primary offerings though, and has a strong placement business on top of general advisory services so that’s what Piper is buying.

high hopes:
Wasn’t piper’s last acquisition of Simmons In Houston a total mess? What did they pay for that?

Where have you heard that? From what I’ve heard all the old MDs are still there and they still have good deal flow.

Better not have thrown monkey shit at me. Heard that Piper’s involvement created a negative effect on culture and process in Houston.

They lost a decent amount of associates and VPs in IB as laterals.

Deal flow was mediocre in 2018 (# of deals is meaningless, especially for capital markets)

I think they lost or trimmed a decent amount of research talent too, noticeably lower quality output.

This is just PJs strategy - roll up boutiques to theoretically crush their share. Hasn't exactly worked out so smoothly in the past... PJ just houses these firms under their umbrella (ie. xyz, a Piper Jaffrey Company) without any regard to the name / brand dilution which arguably makes a huge difference. Have done considerable work in this space previously so just my two cents. PJ was generally an example of how NOT to roll the space up.

TheBuellerBanker:
This is just PJs strategy - roll up boutiques to theoretically crush their share. Hasn't exactly worked out so smoothly in the past... PJ just houses these firms under their umbrella (ie. xyz, a Piper Jaffrey Company) without any regard to the name / brand dilution which arguably makes a huge difference. Have done considerable work in this space previously so just my two cents. PJ was generally an example of how NOT to roll the space up.

To play devil's advocate:

• Can you point to specifics for why you don't think it has worked for PJC? The Charlotte office (Edgeview) has poached some good talent in the past three years and the deal flow seems strong.

• What are some examples of groups that have done it right?

TheBuellerBanker:
(ie. xyz, a Piper Jaffrey Company) without any regard to the name / brand dilution which arguably makes a huge difference. Have done considerable work in this space previously so just my two cents. PJ was generally an example of how NOT to roll the space up.

lol if you're going to shit on a firm with little to no basis, please spell the name right...

How does one even value a boutique M&A shop?

Before you crucify me, I’m looking at this beyond fees (cash flows), what’s to prevent the BSD at Sandler from cashing out or hanging it up? Even if they have contracts where they’re committed to PJ for a number of years, what’s to prevent them from putting it in cruise control? To me it seems like these kind of deals can go bad quickly in that sort of scenario. In my mind you’re buying a name that’s only as good as the bankers behind it.

EbbsAndFlows:
How does one even value a boutique M&A shop?

Before you crucify me, I’m looking at this beyond fees (cash flows), what’s to prevent the BSD at Sandler from cashing out or hanging it up? Even if they have contracts where they’re committed to PJ for a number of years, what’s to prevent them from putting it in cruise control? To me it seems like these kind of deals can go bad quickly in that sort of scenario. In my mind you’re buying a name that’s only as good as the bankers behind it.

There’s usually some pretty fat earnouts involved as well.

Sandler is a great firm, with an eat what you kill mentality and a dope culture. Those that excel there advance very quickly and make a killing with respect to year end bonuses. They are pretty unparalleled when it comes to FIG deals (beat out all of the top BBs iirc) and have excelled within their niche for a long time. Had a friend intern with them and he absolutely loved it, still plays golf with some of the partners and VPs there.

Regarding retention of the senior guys and top talent as EbbsAndFlows they are still incentivized through their rollover equity and bonuses. Hard to say how many will stay. Many may leave if the culture tanks though. I agree that it is a risky play and the long term consequences could be devastating. Curious about the valuation process too. I feel as though the valuation deals with SO's FCF and a major factor would be their long lasting relationships with specific banks and thrifts.

You got it - think everyone should read it.

CIBC just announced it is going to buy Cleary Gull, a small lower MM boutique in Milwaukee

"Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) [TSX: CM] [NYSE: CM], based in Toronto, Ontario, has agreed to acquire Cleary Gull, a Milwaukee-based boutique investment banking firm specializing in middle market M&A, private capital placement and debt advisory"

Yankee Doodle:
I know someone who just started there full time as an analyst. He's either very lucky or fucked.

I'm sure his base comp is going up to be more competitive with the street, but his work life balance is likely to go down. It seems to wreak of desperation by CIBC. Cleary did some nice deals, but were geographically concentrated and they have one key guy that originates. That's part of the reason the firm was only as large as it is.

The rest of the MDs are not going to bring in business, but maybe they can just mine the legacy Private Bank's commercial banking clients. Seems like a tough model IYAM.

Occaecati beatae ut quia laboriosam dolores dignissimos. Laboriosam omnis id laudantium ipsam. Ut iusto deleniti sunt id et quasi.

Impedit earum libero dolores incidunt. In voluptatem pariatur et voluptatem est. Tenetur eius aut qui hic nihil aut. Ut saepe aut ratione quasi. Repellat et non quos rerum odio praesentium aut magni. Eaque provident ut cumque quia.

Odit voluptatem atque dicta autem distinctio. Voluptatem error perspiciatis molestias dolores. Repellendus quidem et dignissimos rerum perspiciatis quas unde quia. Doloremque id nostrum harum beatae fugit aspernatur est. Debitis aut iste cupiditate qui. Vitae veniam hic id et asperiores.

Sit in qui cum velit. Reiciendis ea illum deleniti quas qui et enim totam. Voluptas est quos laboriosam hic. Libero molestias eum sint ipsum dicta.

Aut rerum quia in est rerum rem facere dolorem. Qui quia atque id ad. Et sint dicta asperiores voluptatem non. Officiis voluptatibus ut saepe quidem omnis qui eligendi. Sequi maxime quasi alias voluptas recusandae perferendis sed eaque. Rem excepturi excepturi quia non iste aut. Ipsa et quo neque ipsa voluptate.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”