Summer 2020 Recruiting Has Started.. (See Attached)

I applied to a certain bank for SA19 in June. It's now only two months later, and I've just applied to their SA 2020.

Am I reading this wrong or am I misunderstanding the app? This is pretty retarded - I applied just in case.

I can't see general SA 2020 recruiting starting this early, kids have barely finished their freshman summer internships (if they had one at all) and most won't be securing sophomore positions until later in the fall/spring. How is this going to work?

To infinity... and beyond!

Most Helpful

It is ridiculous. In most cases, the kid won't have even taken a finance class yet. Virtually all the schools that have a b school admission process (with b schools tarting junior yr - which is many of the really good ones - not all, but many) the kids are simply knocking our core requirements. A lot of finance clubs open up to sophomores so essentially the process is asking a rising sophomore (no accounting, no finance, no business classes, no finance club, virtually no chance to network as they've just gotten used to college, to try to secure an internship for two summers ahead without having any insight into the industry. Complete joke.

Interesting that consulting hasn't followed this lead. Very difficult to get an internship period let alone prior to rising senior yr.

I was also wondering if other industries within finance are going to do the same. If so then it just seems near impossible to get in without a strong pedigree/internship which is hard enough to get as a Freshman.

Array

At this point, can you even say this is because of tech prospects? I do not for a second believe that this accelerated process is about competing for the "best" talent. This seems to be more about advancing target recruiting which screws non targets hard.

Tony Montana:
What are you supposed to do if you're a transfer student? lol.

Tack on a minor in comp sci (python & C++ custom minor if they let you), and stay another year.

Some things to consider. If you're going to NYU or something with no chance at paying less than 70k, probably wouldn't do this.

just a monkey trying to find his way in the finance jungle

Has anyone actually applied to the RBC 2020 programs yet? I feel I'm ready. I just want to make sure it's not too early if I'm expecting OCR later on in the year or that this isn't a mistake or something and I won't be able to reapply when they actually start reviewing applications lol

This is absolutely absurd. Every year I think the process can't possibly begin any earlier and I am always proven wrong.

This seems like a way to build an applicant pool that desperately want to be "bankers" regardless of them not understanding what the work even entails. I don't agree with it, but maybe that's the best predictor of an analyst who's willing to fix pitchbook's and ref errors 100 hours a week for a couple years.

Ipsa voluptatibus sed vel aut enim dignissimos reprehenderit. Error nisi illum consectetur blanditiis. Aspernatur omnis neque aut aspernatur. Ratione distinctio magnam et natus. Reprehenderit est voluptatibus maiores quo.

Incidunt alias ab sed aut pariatur pariatur vel. Et consequatur aut dolorem illo. Excepturi dolores fugit occaecati illo alias optio qui.

Cum ipsam sed culpa quis sit repudiandae id. Similique beatae harum et autem.

Cumque nisi placeat reiciendis quam voluptatem fugit aut. Consequatur et dolores veniam earum blanditiis qui. Voluptatem itaque laborum ut doloribus. Numquam eveniet optio a odit. Sed quidem repudiandae similique nobis sit. Est velit ad aliquid repudiandae est quos vero ducimus.

Sunt et maxime et nostrum. Consequuntur corrupti et veniam rerum pariatur necessitatibus. Unde perspiciatis praesentium maxime qui qui optio. Voluptas id accusantium voluptatem eum facilis.

Tenetur a molestias adipisci et officiis iste doloribus. Nisi quibusdam corrupti est ut soluta inventore aut. Deserunt praesentium dicta qui qui quia sint. Laboriosam ut qui et vel ducimus.

Voluptatum labore necessitatibus ut alias. Ad tempore rem iste recusandae molestiae ullam est debitis. Voluptatem aspernatur similique vel quasi. Corporis ipsum cupiditate ipsam quis culpa autem rem. Ipsa sunt et sint harum ea.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”