Top Cleantech VC/GE (2021 Update)

Saw some legacy posts on cleantech VC/growth funds, but wanted to see if there was anyone who had an update post-COVID with the recent wave of SPAC interest? For reference, coming from a BB P&U team with some renewables experience but hoping to move to the earlier stage cleantech side after banking. Hoping someone has an idea who are the biggest players, funds with good growth trajectories, and places that hire juniors. Currently in NY but also interested in SF/Boston since more ops there.

Yeah used to be part of Kleiner's Green Growth Fund. Those guys don't have the best rep w/in the industry TBH (at least in my circles). 

Would personally way rather join Prelude Ventures, which also hires associates out of banking.

Vision Ridge is also interesting but more real assets focused, not actual VC or growth.

Otherwise don't personally know much about any hiring practices at any of the other earlier stage clean tech shops.

NuclearPenguins and ww9 are right on. What’s your definition of cleantech? a lot of the new strategies from established platforms are basically doing the same stuff (software, hardware, consumer products that’s adjacent to “green” trends). If you’re coming from P&U you’re probably more interested in true cleantech and the list is much narrower.

Agree with your view point on broad green/sustainability funds vs. purely renewable energy funds. From my perspective, I have found the broader funds more interesting but I have also noticed the broad funds typically pull analysts/associates from a TMT background vs. P&U. The more asset / project based funds working in the renewables space would seem like an easier fit for P&U, but as you said, more narrow and potentially less interesting.

Any insight on how you would split the funds out there between the two groups and how you have seen them select candidates from different industry backgrounds? Thanks!

Most Helpful

You're correct "Cleantech" - thinking about software / maybe consumer retail investments that try to solve climate change - seems to recruit heavily out of tech banking. Renewable energy is different than cleantech, its more of an infra asset class and so recruits more out of infra backgrounds. That's why you see all the major infra investors have a real asset renewable energy fund, whereas someone like G2VP doesn't own any renewable energy projects. Renewable infra funds pull from your standard P&U groups but also some project finance groups as thats an applicable skillset.

Finally, I'll note that "cleantech" is probably not as sexy as some may make it out to be. There's never really going to be a big IPO for a software company that helps utilities assess damage on their wires in real time, as an example. It's critical to fighting the CA wildfires, however, you're never going to 10x your money on something like that.  

Facere eius est omnis. Voluptatem rerum facere consectetur sapiente et. Officia molestiae asperiores dolor.

Tempore molestiae facere quod labore animi eius. Animi beatae cum veniam minima. Error quae unde ex consequuntur. Voluptatibus voluptas quos beatae suscipit ullam ratione quia. Aut at veniam quis est reiciendis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”