Top US Project Finance Groups/Infrastructure PE Groups 2020

I recently married my American girlfriend and am beginning the process of emigrating to the US in late 2020. I am at a boutique in the UK with a project finance focus, but we also do M&A in infrastructure/energy/resources. I have done a bit of research and have a general idea of the project finance/infrastructure PE space in NY but am looking for someone active in the US to give a bit of colour re the top groups in these niches. Particularly interested in hearing from people in NY, Houston and SF/LA.

I'm a PF analyst in the US. As far as I know, all PF in the US is run out of NY.

While the banks you mentioned may be top of the league tables due to sheer quantity of deals, the analyst experience is definitely not as good as it is at the BBs. The foreign banks (espec Japanese & French) do a lot of syndicated loan underwriting and often can't compete on pure advisory / structuring / acqfin mandates, which are a lot more interesting to work on, and provide better experience for buyside moves. Macquarie has a good group, but the others you mentioned (+ SMBC, Mizuho, SocGen, Agricole, etc etc.) definitely fall into the former bucket.

In my experience (+ chatting to friends across the street), it's really the American BBs, espec. GS/JPM/C that offer the best PF analyst experience. MS has a dedicated group as well, but haven't seen them on a lot of deals. The deals they do get on are big though simply because its MS. Not sure how BAML + BarCap are set up, but they're both quite active. Deutsche has a dedicated group too but have definitely been less active recently. Haven't heard much about CS / UBS.

Of the foreign banks, BNP has a great group in NY, and RBC / HSBC have been active as well. If you're looking for more of an M&A focus, JPM is really strong in the space, as are Evercore + Macquarie, in addition to the other BBs. RBC has been making waves too.

I hate rankings, but for the sake of discussion: gun to my head, if I had to choose the 'best' PF bank in NY for analysts, I'd go with JPM, followed closely by GS + C.

OP here, many thanks for your detailed response. Tend to agree with your views on the Japanese/French banks, have been on the other side of transactions involving several of those mentioned and have not been particularly impressed with their capability. Nice enough people but they definitely lean on their balance sheets to win work.

I have heard great things about RBC but will look into the American BBs. I guess I should have defined what I meant by "top", which is best analyst experience, culture and interesting deals, but you have covered that off nicely. Cheers!

Good point! Nomura is interviewing for their project finance team. I saw above where you said the more interesting work is being in advisory roles as opposed to underwriting in a syndicate. Is there a way to track advisory roles on Bloomberg? I've only been able to view by bookrunner/MLA. I think Nomura is growing their practice - the head of their group was hired in 2017 from Deutsche. If you had any thoughts on this that would be great.

Most Helpful

Et incidunt ducimus esse doloremque vitae. Esse doloremque magnam hic tenetur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”