Vaccines 101

I’ll explain like y’all are FOUR since some of you are dense af. 

You get a vaccine, you’re conferred immunity. You now have greater protection from getting infected should you become exposed. Curtailing infection = you won’t have any infected cells spawning new infectious virus particles to shed all over the people around you. Whether you have symptoms or not, you’re still shedding that shit everywhere. 

You’re healthy and not at risk of dying should you become infected? That is fantastic; lucky you man. So then why in the hell would you think the government and pharma and the entire world are working their asses off on a vaccine to... protect you from the fucking sniffles? 

No one gives a shit about your potential Covid experience, they give a shit that your anti-vaxxer ass might come in contact with an asymptomatic anti-vaxxer ass and then you go on spreading it while you’re out partying in Florida or dining all over the place. 

If everyone else is a decent human being and vaccinated (that good good herd immunity you all know nothing about yet bring up any chance you get), it won’t be so bad. But you get problems when you mix vaccine skeptics, unprotected groups of people who can’t get vaccinated and uncertainty about duration of immunity and reinfection. 

As others pointed out, protesting about putting the unknown into your precious bodies is bullshit. It’s been proven that just 1 drink a day, or 7 drinks in a week, increases your risk of earlier death (in the range of 6 months) yet so many assholes are bitching about not being able to go and get blackout because of a pandemic that they have no interest in helping stop. Y’all need to take a look at yourselves in the mirror.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Jokes aside, this is what vaccines do according to my grandfather who's a physician.

"You get a vaccine, and it significantly decreases the chances you get sick. Which often means you're significantly less likely to spread it. If enough people get vaccinated, then the spread rate becomes so low that you'renot gonna see much cases. This is what you call Herd Immunity."

Most Helpful

It's good that people like Barack Obama and Ben Shapiro have said they'll get the vaccine live, on-air. We need large, influential names to step up and help persuade people. 

Also, I'm reading that some doctors, etc. are saying that after you get the vaccine you should continue wearing a mask because it's still only 95% effective. That is going to dissuade so many people from getting the vaccine. I personally am not going to get the vaccine if the policy is, "wear masks forever" since I'm at virtually no personal risk. These counterproductive statements, policies, and opinion pieces about wearing masks forever need to stop. They will do nothing but make it more difficult to get the population vaccinated. 

Array

real_Skankhunt42

Also, I'm reading that some doctors, etc. are saying that after you get the vaccine you should continue wearing a mask because it's still only 95% effective. That is going to dissuade so many people from getting the vaccine. I personally am not going to get the vaccine if the policy is, "wear masks forever" since I'm at virtually no personal risk. These counterproductive statements, policies, and opinion pieces about wearing masks forever need to stop. They will do nothing but make it more difficult to get the population vaccinated. 

I wouldn't call it "Counter-productive". Doctors are medical professionals and they're not really gonna care too much about public policy or how it "sounds" to the world. 

Lots of medical professionals are trained to "manage tail risk" situations as much as possible starting in medical school. Particularly in the field of public health, this risk avoidance is very much amplified. Most of the times, it serves the world well.

I call it professional hazard, but I guess it's a bit paranoid

Counterproductive is the exactly correct word. When you get out there and say that we need to eliminate 100% of risk by wearing masks forever, you begin to persuade some public policy makers who are convinced that "this is science." Implementing that public policy is counterproductive as it will discourage people from getting the vaccine, which is way more effective than half-assed use of masks. 

Array

Funniest

Perferendis a eius reiciendis est. Aspernatur officiis qui aspernatur cum non. Enim deserunt ratione necessitatibus ut.

Praesentium numquam aut iusto animi eligendi consequatur numquam. Et quam dicta recusandae consequuntur corporis. Dolores fugit dolorum autem ea consequatur.

Debitis qui vel qui quia ut. Odit deleniti odit itaque sint nam.

Voluptate enim praesentium velit placeat consequatur rem ea. Consequatur necessitatibus tempora culpa sapiente. Iusto nisi aut enim sint sunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”