Wells Fargo S&T Super Day 2011??

Wells Fargo S&T super day will be this coming Friday (October 7, 2011). Has any one been through this process for Wells Fargo? The program is Wells Fargo Securities Analyst and I specified my main interest to be Fixed Income. Any suggestions or ideas of how this will go?

went through this last year (clt office)

normal superday (6 30min interviews). know where the market is at (s&p, nasdaq, dow, gold, libor etc), be able to do mental math, explain simple fixed income/derivative concepts (what is duration, what is a call etc), pitch a stock, and obviously all the why trading/fit/behavioral questions.

one other thing that was kind of odd. 3 out of the 6 people i interviewed with were bankers instead of traders... so actually got a couple of banking questions (what happens when depr goes up 10, how do the 3 statements link, etc). really weird, and the interviewers themselves admitted they didnt know why they were doing trading interviews.

What schools are you all from? What type of mental math did they ask? Are some of the interviews the typical "stress" interview where they ask you off the wall questions that you have to work through?

Best Response

From what I understand, Wells is grouped somewhat oddly in that they have the traditional IB groups (industry, product, M&A, etc...) and then everything else is broadly grouped as "S&T". So Public Finance, Securitization, research, whatever else, along with the actual Sales and Trading groups are all referred to as "S&T". This is why someone interviewing for a trading position may get an interviewer who is in some random pub fin or securitization banking group. Shouldn't really make a difference when you're interviewing though; just have an idea of what you want and be able to clearly explain why you want that specific group. Worst thing you could do is tell each interviewer that you have a preference for their particular group over the others because I'm sure they will all discuss at the end of the interviews.

Haven't really heard of anything too unique about WF interviews, although you probably should have a good answer for why you prefer them over some of the NYC banks. Best of luck to everyone!

I wouldn't worry too much about man. I actually work on the securitization desk myself and i wouldn't expect an interviewee to know too much about it. As long as you know some basics to ask a few questions you should be good to go. I doubt you'll get technical type questions, especially if aren't interested in going into a securitization group.

Being aware of the current market conditions might be helpful though... eg there's a lot of volatility and uncertainty in the markets right now so spreads have widened meaning not as many deals are getting done. Still decent demand for shorter term AAA or AA ABS (particularly autos) as investors are looking for relatively safe places to invest., Some mez tranches however are having trouble getting done. Obviously the whole S&P CMBS mess is also having an indirect effect, just adding more uncertainty. Issuance has certainly picked up from 2010, but still aren't close to the levels see before the financial crisis. For our particular group, and I would assume for the entire ABS market, there are certainly quite a few deals in the pipeline waiting to get done, however market conditions are pushing some deals back, most likely to at least Q1 2012. I would certainly expect ABS issuance to increase once (or if) markets calm down and spreads narrow a little bit and stablize.

I guess your interview is tomorrow, so it might be too late, but feel free to pm me any more questions you have about securitization or w/e. Good luck!

Non iusto voluptas fuga culpa dolor. Ipsa voluptatum omnis quia velit sint autem.

Earum accusamus ratione non nemo incidunt. Perspiciatis libero aut necessitatibus maiores. Autem quidem veritatis quaerat voluptates similique delectus veritatis. Corrupti expedita suscipit officia quis maxime magnam quia. Suscipit tempora dignissimos iure. Qui ullam corporis eos adipisci sunt aliquam magni.

Eos in omnis sint. Explicabo doloremque voluptatem fugit sed iure veritatis ut. Labore numquam veritatis molestias aut nulla animi.

Accusantium necessitatibus quod modi numquam asperiores dignissimos perferendis. Nemo eius dolorem ipsum voluptatum. Ut veritatis odit modi vel dolorum enim. Accusantium velit pariatur doloribus nobis ea dolores. Itaque sed voluptas distinctio a id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”