What range of MBA Programs will give you a Good Shot at Six-Figure f500 jobs?

If you're aiming for MBB consulting or IB, they recommend you need to go to an M7 school, or t15 at the lowest. Getting those long-hour, high-paying, prestigious consulting and finance gigs is what draws many to the M7.

But what if you don't care about consulting or finance, but want a $100,000+ f500 job that's 50-60 hours? Say something in marketing, brand management, rotational programs, FLDP, corporate strategy, operations, sales, business development, product management, leadership development, etc.

What MBA programs would be worth the time, effort, and cost if six-figure f500 jobs are your goal? M7? T15? T20? T30? T50? Etc. Of course getting these positions isn't a walk in the park, but they seem a lot less competitive than MBB consulting or finance. So for f500, I doubt it's "M7 or bust."

Thanks.

Best Response
aspiringchimp:

Dude a 100k job at F500 from an MBA program that works 40 hours a week can be easily done from a T50 program... I don't think you're setting your sights high enough. Most of the post-MBA F500 roles are close to double that from M7 (total comp, not base salary). And very few corporate gigs are 50-60 hours

Eh? There are very few corporates that are going to pay $200k+ or anywhere close to that from any school, including an M7, from a salary + bonus + stock + def comp perspective. There are exceptions (some tech roles etc) but probably looking at $150k-180k for the BEST roles. I have friends here at Booth going to corporates for less than that. There are definitely some that pay more but $200k is not the norm.

Anyway, for the OP, the further down the chain you go the more it's going to depend on your prior experience. If you're looking to change careers and functions at a school in the 30-50 range then you shouldn't expect a six figure salary, but you might get lucky. If you're looking for a step up at a new firm in your current line of work and have 5-10 years experience, you might see a big boost. So it's tough to answer the question in a vacuum.

I know the MBA figures for the LDPs at my company are ~100k first year. Giver or take 5-10 depending on performance. Defense industry btw, so a bit lower than other industries.

We recruit from Top 50 programs, but many of our programs are In the top 5 for their specialization. E.g. Finance, Supply Chain, HR, etc. - so the best schools within those disciplines.

Obviously the M7 / Top 15 will give you tons of options, but a lot of the F500s may have more of a regional focus as opposed to rankings. For example, I'd imagine that Walmart recruits some MBAs from the University of Arkansas even though it isn't a highly regarded B-School. Now this would obviously be putting a lot of eggs in one basket, but if you don't have the scores / can't afford a highly ranked school it may be a viable option - especially if there is a particular city / region of the country you know you want to end up in

As someone who is in an MBA program ranked ~#50, here is a rough guideline on what you might be able to expect based on what my class & the class before mine landed:

Top 10-15% of the class landed jobs over $100k base with F100 companies. Almost all of this was regional - the few that went outside of the school's network had previous F100 or military experience. I personally went through the recruiting process for 7 LDPs - all of these came were LDPs in the same industry that I was in for 7 years pre-MBA.

Obviously this is a limited sample size, but my view is that if you go to a ~#50 MBA, you need 5+ years' experience and a background in either that job function or industry to feel confident you have a shot of F500 jobs with $100k+ base.

It's not M7 or bust but seems significantly easier from a T15 from my limited sample. In fact, some programs like Darden seem to have a strong general management focus and will send more people to F500 LDPs than my M7.

To another commenters point, the employment reports and school club websites offer great information that is easy to find.

To yet another posters point, reach out to people at target schools who are in the professional clubs you want to join. I was always amazed how many people would go out of their way to help me as a prospective student. Most students had the same experience and are looking to pay it forward.

I go to a top 15 school and will be starting a corporate job at a F500 that pays 150k+ (all-in comp) and hours are 50-60/week. I'll be joining as part of an LDP in the tech industry so my comp is prob higher than other industries, but most F500 roles have all-in comp at a minimum of 110k/year. I would say def try to break into the top 30 to increase your odds of getting this sort of job

Impedit et ut saepe impedit maiores. Quia et sequi odio dolorem. Omnis quis tenetur ad nam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”