Why a recruiter might call to tell me I'm potentially gonna have an interview

FXSA2010's picture
Rank: Baboon | banana points 103

So I got a call from a recruiter from a top tier bank in Asia (GS/MS/JPM) for a position I really wanted about a day ago telling me that I applied for this job and if they are interested, I will hear back for first round within 3 days ("shortlisted candidates will be contacted within the next 3 days").

He asked me if I had any offers (which I did) and when he found out it's from a competitor, he asked the location and division.

Was wondering the following questions:

1) Is he gonna verify my offer? I'm talking with the other banks I received offers from and not sure if it's a good idea if they know I'm still "shopping".

2) Why bother calling me to tell me I MIGHT have an interview with them? It's confusing and getting my hopes up lol since actually this is my top choice. I didn't really know how to react to this one except "well I'm still interested so I look forward to hopefully hearing from you".

Comments (7)

Dec 7, 2010

They probably are interested in you, and the recruiter is letting you know since you have other offers. He maybe making sure you know this before you make a decision on your other offer. Keeping you on the hook so to speak.

Dec 7, 2010
ogrady:

They probably are interested in you, and the recruiter is letting you know since you have other offers. He maybe making sure you know this before you make a decision on your other offer. Keeping you on the hook so to speak.

will they find out whether you have accepted/declined your offers if you tell them the firm/division/location?

Dec 7, 2010

^If they are really curious (or you give them a reason to be) - they could do some sleuthing and ask around.

Curious - is this a SA opportunity or off-cycle/experienced FT position?

Dec 7, 2010

If the recruiter is from the bank and not an agent, I see no harm in telling them that info. If its an outside agent representing you then I would guard the info. Be generic.

Dec 7, 2010

Kanon - My offers and the potential interview are for FT analyst positions (not experienced or off cycle). US recruiting finishes earlier than Asia...so I just got contact from the BBs in Asia.

Ogrady - t I actually accepted an offer during US recruiting (a month ago)... it was exploding and I wasn't sure if I can find another job. However after thinking carefully, going back to Asia appeals to me more, since my family is there and compensation is better (low tax, housing allowance etc) so I still want to interview/apply to BBs in Asia. I'm nervous that if they verify my offers and find out I've accepted an offer elsewhere not only will my offer be rescinded but I won't get interviews.

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

Dec 7, 2010

Well, that's a pretty important piece of info you left out. :) Changes things a bit. I am assuming you did not start yet. Chances of them going around verifying offers is pretty slim. Pariticularly if one role is in the US and one is in Asia. I would try to be as generic as possible though. You are starting to dig yourself a little hole here that may or may not come back and bite you.

If you really want this job you may want to turn the tables on the recruiter and tell them that you will have to make a decision soon, and you are very interested in xyz firm, so if they could set up an interview sooner than later that would be great. Get him to focus more on getting you an interview instead of worrying about where your offers are from. If no interview is set up in a timely fashion...well, there's your answer on how much interest they have in you.

Dec 7, 2010
Comment