Bloomberg Best Undergraduate Business Schools 2013

Bloomberg Undergraduate Business School rankings released March 20th.

1. Notre Dame (Mendoza)
2. Virginia (McIntire)
3. Cornell (Dyson)
4. Washington University in St. Louis (Olin)
5. Pennsylvania (Wharton)
6. Boston College (Carroll)
7. Emory (Goizueta)
8. Michigan - Ann Arbor (Ross)
9. Texas - Austin (McCombs)
10. North Carolina - Chapel Hill (Kenan Flagler)

11. UC Berkeley (Haas)
12. Brigham Young (Marriott)
13. Indiana (Kelley)
14. NYU (Stern)
15. Villanova
16. Georgetown (McDonough)
17. Richmond (Robins)
18. Wake Forest
19. MIT (Sloan)
20. Bentley

Thoughts?

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-20/best-undergraduate-busi…

LOL at WUSTL being above Wharton.

I realize these rankings look at more than just top finance placements, but it is a joke when you have one of the best business schools being outranked by lesser programs.

Emory above Ross? Stern at 14? MIT at 19?

What a joke.

Here's the thing, if you're in the business of selling ads by getting the most page views (or whatever), you need to keep changing the order every year to sell the maximum amounts of ads. So, in a weird way, kudos to Bloomberg for getting creative with the ranking to get attention.

I'll attempt to re-scramble the ones listed, but keep their rankings...

1. Pennsylvania (Wharton)
  2. Cornell (Dyson)
  3. NYU (Stern)
  4. Michigan - Ann Arbor (Ross)
  5. UC Berkeley (Haas)
  6. Virginia (McIntire)
  7. Georgetown (McDonough)
  8. MIT (Sloan)
  9. Notre Dame (Mendoza)
  10. Emory (Goizueta)
  11. Indiana (Kelley)
  12. Villanova
  13. Boston College (Carroll)
  14. Texas - Austin (McCombs)
  15. Washington University in St. Louis (Olin)
  16. North Carolina - Chapel Hill (Kenan Flagler)
  17. Wake Forest
  18. Richmond (Robins)
  19. Bentley
  20. Brigham Young (Marriott)

BTbanker:
  2. Cornell (Dyson)
  3. NYU (Stern)
  5. UC Berkeley (Haas)
  6. Virginia (McIntire)
  8. MIT (Sloan)
  9. Notre Dame (Mendoza)
  10. Emory (Goizueta)
  11. Indiana (Kelley)
  12. Villanova
  17. Wake Forest
  18. Richmond (Robins)
  19. Bentley
Looks like some Olin, McCombs or Carroll students are pissed with you lol.

bengigi:
BTbanker:
  2. Cornell (Dyson)
  3. NYU (Stern)
  5. UC Berkeley (Haas)
  6. Virginia (McIntire)
  8. MIT (Sloan)
  9. Notre Dame (Mendoza)
  10. Emory (Goizueta)
  11. Indiana (Kelley)
  12. Villanova
  17. Wake Forest
  18. Richmond (Robins)
  19. Bentley
Looks like some Olin, McCombs or Carroll students are pissed with you lol.
Haha yeah, Carroll is definitely better than at least half of those above it. Strong finance and accounting
"Money is a scoreboard where you can rank how you're doing against other people." -Mark Cuban

BTbanker:
  2. Cornell (Dyson)
  3. NYU (Stern)
  5. UC Berkeley (Haas)
  6. Virginia (McIntire)
  8. MIT (Sloan)
  9. Notre Dame (Mendoza)
  10. Emory (Goizueta)
  11. Indiana (Kelley)
  12. Villanova
  17. Wake Forest
  18. Richmond (Robins)
  19. Bentley

By test scores:

Washington U. - St. Louis (Olin) Pennsylvania (Wharton) MIT (Sloan) NYU (Stern) Cornell (Dyson) Carnegie Mellon (Tepper) Notre Dame (Mendoza) UC - Berkeley (Haas)
Virginia (McIntire) USC ( Marshall) Emory (Goizueta) Michigan - Ann Arbor (Ross) Georgetown (McDonough) Northeastern (D'Amore-McKim) Texas - Austin (McCombs) Boston College (Carroll) North Carolina - Chapel Hill (Kenan Flagler) Illinois - Urbana-Champaign William & Mary (Mason) Wake Forest

you can't rank by test scores bc some don't require them anymore. i don't know that i even necessarily understand the rankings, so many of the inputs seem so arbitrary. but to me, best way to evaluate an UG business school is on academic quality. that's what you'll take with you most throughout the rest of your career.

I remember getting an email my junior year from some fellow b school undergrads basically saying "stop telling everyone that this school makes you miserable (via surveys) because it is crushing our national rankings". As far as I'm concerned the only criteria that should matter are employer surveys and academic quality.

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

duffmt6:
I remember getting an email my junior year from some fellow b school undergrads basically saying "stop telling everyone that this school makes you miserable (via surveys) because it is crushing our national rankings". As far as I'm concerned the only criteria that should matter are employer surveys and academic quality.

Every year, my alma mater is in the top 5 of the following Princeton Review categories:

1) Worst Professors 2) Most Miserable Students 3) Worst Food 4) Worst Dorms 5) Least Accessible Professors

I'm certainly glad employers don't pay attention to surveys (clearly the school doesn't).

Another observation - employer rank seems to be heavily skewed toward larger schools.

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

Ranking by employer survey. Definitely weighted towards size of school. The employer score is based on the assessment of 215 corporate recruiters, a small sample no matter how you cut it. Basically recruiters are only going to have an opinion on schools that produce enough graduates to recruit from...

13 Indiana (Kelley) 26 Penn State - University Park (Smeal) 12 Brigham Young (Marriott) 9 Texas - Austin (McCombs) 1 Notre Dame (Mendoza) 21 Illinois - Urbana-Champaign 33 Texas A & M (Mays) 37 Florida (Warrington) 6 Boston College (Carroll) 20 Bentley 31 USC (Marshall)
43 Michigan State (Broad) 34 Ohio State (Fisher) 8 Michigan - Ann Arbor (Ross) 2 Virginia (McIntire) 7 Emory (Goizueta) 11 UC - Berkeley (Haas) 58 Purdue (Krannert) 25 Northeastern (D'Amore-McKim) 23 Boston U.

freeloader:
Ranking by employer survey. Definitely weighted towards size of school. The employer score is based on the assessment of 215 corporate recruiters, a small sample no matter how you cut it. Basically recruiters are only going to have an opinion on schools that produce enough graduates to recruit from...

13 Indiana (Kelley) 26 Penn State - University Park (Smeal) 12 Brigham Young (Marriott) 9 Texas - Austin (McCombs) 1 Notre Dame (Mendoza) 21 Illinois - Urbana-Champaign 33 Texas A & M (Mays) 37 Florida (Warrington) 6 Boston College (Carroll) 20 Bentley 31 USC (Marshall)
43 Michigan State (Broad) 34 Ohio State (Fisher) 8 Michigan - Ann Arbor (Ross) 2 Virginia (McIntire) 7 Emory (Goizueta) 11 UC - Berkeley (Haas) 58 Purdue (Krannert) 25 Northeastern (D'Amore-McKim) 23 Boston U.

Really? Indiana Kelley tops it? I don't get the hype around that school lately. Interviewed at JPM with a guy from there. All he did was talk about basketball.

That's a funny list.

Joshua93:
freeloader:

Really? Indiana Kelley tops it? I don't get the hype around that school lately. All I think of when I hear IU is basketball.

That's a funny list.

Clearly you don't work in finance then. Kelley, UW-Madison, Ross, McCombs all represent well.

Joshua93:
freeloader:

Really? Indiana Kelley tops it? I don't get the hype around that school lately. Interviewed at JPM with a guy from there. All he did was talk about basketball.

That's a funny list.

You're an idiot. BAML takes more kids out of there than any other school for IBD. And a guy I worked with this summer was Kelley too. He's one of two people I still keep in contact with.

Not surprised to see them on the rise at all. Look out for BYU too.

Joshua93:
freeloader:

That's a funny list.

Indiana has a badass business program ;)

+In 2 years we'll have the most advanced trading floor in the nation.

+We have some of the highest ibanking placement rates in the nation. For BB, Boutiques, and even some buy-side gigs (Blackstone every year, etc.)

+We get Bain and BCG on campus recruiting and new hires every year from there.

+Our classes will have international students webcamming into sessions soon (built into each room), and we do several collaborations with other schools (I've had classes co-joined with another class in China).

+Google "I-Core." Several other schools have copied our educational model.

+A lot of our classes are simulation-based (online programs) and basically all our classes have teamwork elements along with presentations. So our graduates know how to work with others in the real world :P

Wisconsin not even in the top 20 while schools like BYU, Richmond, Bentley make this list? Not to mention MIT at 19 and Wharton not even in Top 3? I'll reiterate what everyone said here...what a joke.

cheese86:
Wisconsin not even in the top 20 while schools like BYU, Richmond, Bentley make this list? Not to mention MIT at 19 and Wharton not even in Top 3? I'll reiterate what everyone said here...what a joke.

Richmond and Bentley, sure. HOWEVER, if you think Wisconsin should be ahead of BYU, you're not paying attention dude. Mormons take care of their shit.

“Millionaires don't use astrology, billionaires do”

They should redo this list to include hotness of bishes in the b-school as a factor... Kelley, Ross, McIntire, and McCombs would top the list while Sloan, Dyson, and Olin wouldn't even make it!

"Yes. Money has been a little bit tight lately, but at the end of my life, when I'm sitting on my yacht, am I gonna be thinking about how much money I have? No. I'm gonna be thinking about how many friends I have and my children and my comedy albums."

If I had to do the rankings over: 1.Wharton 2.Dyson 3.UVa McIntire 4. Mendoza 5. MIT 6. Carroll 7.WUSTL 8.Michigan 9.Stern 10.UNC 11.Emory 12. UC Berk 13.Gtown 14. Nova 15. IU Kelley 16. Texas Austin 17. BYU 18. Wake 19. Richmond 20. Bentley

"Money is a scoreboard where you can rank how you're doing against other people." -Mark Cuban

reformed:
TakeItToTheBank26:
If I had to do the rankings over: 1.Wharton 2.Dyson 3.UVa McIntire 4. Mendoza 5. MIT 6. Carroll 7.WUSTL 8.Michigan 9.Stern 10.UNC 11.Emory 12. UC Berk 13.Gtown 14. Nova 15. IU Kelley 16. Texas Austin 17. BYU 18. Wake 19. Richmond 20. Bentley

Seriously? You'd honestly put Cornell over georgetown?

lol of fucking course. Who wouldn't?

"Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill you. That's not a threat, that's a fact.

reformed:
TakeItToTheBank26:

Lmao... This kid must go to UNC... Fucking jokester.

reformed:
TakeItToTheBank26:

Cut him some slack - he went to BC.

<span class=keyword_link><a href=/resources/skills/finance/going-concern>Going Concern</a></span>:
AQM:
1) Harvard 2) Yale 3) Princeton 4) Harvard again.

I think it's more like:

1) Harvard 2) Harvard 3) Harvard 4) Yale/Princeton

Thoughts?

Hahaha

lol @ this thread - a bunch of angry kids defending their school.

My top 5 from that list (in alphabetical order so I don't piss off anyone): Cornell (Dyson), NYU (Stern), Michigan (Ross), Penn (Wharton), Virginia (McIntire)

Edit: I see the MS is already coming my way...

Bruce Wayne:

My top 5 from that list (in alphabetical order so I don't piss off anyone): Cornell (Dyson), NYU (Stern), Michigan (Ross), Penn (Wharton), Virginia (McIntire)

I'd throw some, but your post wasn't worth it. That's how bad it was.

peinvestor2012:
Bruce Wayne:

I'd throw some, but your post wasn't worth it. That's how bad it was.

Says the guy with 12SB and 17MS

I went to Notre Dame. While I can only speak for myself, I believe we're #1 because I have huge balls, make fuck-you money and my gf lets me do anal. Any other questions?

P.S. - my gf is real (although I can't say the same about her fun bags) P.P.S. - sorry about the championship game.

BroMontana16:
I went to Notre Dame. While I can only speak for myself, I believe we're #1 because I have huge balls, make fuck-you money and my gf lets me do anal. Any other questions?

P.S. - my gf is real (although I can't say the same about her fun bags) P.P.S. - sorry about the championship game.

Hilarious.

I guess your girlfriend didn't go to ND?

Ut nisi quo et voluptas ex occaecati rem sed. Dolorem sint soluta labore officia sunt et. Aperiam quo modi quis dolore qui omnis mollitia. Autem voluptatem eum quibusdam perspiciatis harum fuga possimus excepturi.

Iure animi velit deleniti recusandae dolores facere labore. Non exercitationem facilis voluptatem ea odio maiores sit. Officiis quod maxime molestias consectetur ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”