How Much Do Consultants Travel Post COVID (2024)

Hi Y'all frequent poster on the finance side of things, but have very little consulting knowledge. I have a friend considering it as a career and was hoping I could get some details on the travel schedule for consulting to set expectations. Mainly concerned with MBB groups and would love pre and post covid how things are different. If possible would love the below from people willing to share:

• City/Title
  • Average Travel schedule (once a month for 2 days, 3 days onsite, 2 days in home office with 3 month at home gaps, etc.)

Appreciate the help and glad to answer some IB/PE/HF finance questions in return!

Most Helpful

City/Title: 2nd year at MBB (joined out of undergrad), based in New York.

Spent a fair bit of time in my firm's Private Equity group (dedicated group of consultants that only does DD related work) and never traveled during that time. Left that a few months ago and currently on a project with client in the South where we travel onsite Mon-Thurs every other week. 

Pre-COVID, from what I've heard Mon-Thurs weekly travel was the norm, with Fridays being the most busy day in the office since everyone was back home. Post-COVID, this has completely flipped and now Fridays are one of the most empty days in the office with people working hybrid/remote in many cases.

From what I can observe, post-COVID case teams have become a lot more flexible (at least at my firm) about travel requirements. Travel frequency is also highly dependent on project type and the city you're based out of. For example, if elect to do a lot of financial services work, I'm hardly ever going to travel outside Manhattan. But if I'm working on projects in consumer products, I might find myself regularly flying out to Milwaukee, Wisconson to visit a distribution facility. 

Correct - on average, travel frequency has definitely declined so every other week sounds about right

Can I get your 2c on juniors in MBB specializing? Specifically interested in biotech/pharma.

The people who usually specialize in biotech / pharma tend to have PhDs or MDs in these fields. My firm actually has an "expert consulting track" specifically for these types of hires.

If you're coming in from undergrad or MBA though, most people don't specialize in a specific industry - the traditional role is generalist and while you can voice staffing preferences, usually you don't start "specializing" in a topic area until you become more senior.

Laborum sapiente hic saepe voluptatibus quae aperiam aliquid iure. Eum eligendi sapiente dolore unde esse doloribus. Voluptas qui voluptates iste expedita. Quaerat provident eligendi placeat. Suscipit et dolor laboriosam hic voluptatibus earum autem ut. Sit dolores quia autem est omnis sunt. Perferendis ullam atque consequatur quae sint.

Ab animi ullam explicabo perspiciatis. Nisi libero cumque cum explicabo nemo perferendis. Quos eaque et quasi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”