MBB Summer Analyst 2024 return offers

Hey all, incoming summer analyst from undergrad for an MBB firm at a large office on the East Coast of the US. I wanted to ask about return offers and the state of MBB in general for 2024; in previous years I know returns have been the default, but given the dismal state of the economy / hiring, I wanted to know if anything has changed. If anyone has advice for going into an MBB consulting internship, please drop some too! Thanks

Hey there, future MBB star! Based on the most helpful WSO content, return offers for MBB internships have traditionally been high, as these firms tend to view their summer analyst programs as a key pipeline for full-time talent. However, it's always wise to keep in mind that economic conditions can impact hiring practices.

For the summer of 2024, while there isn't specific data in the context provided, it's safe to infer that if the economy is underperforming, this could potentially affect return offer rates. Firms may become more selective, but top performers typically still have a strong chance of securing a return offer.

Now, for some golden nuggets of advice for your MBB consulting internship:

1. Be Proactive: Take initiative, seek out projects, and don't shy away from challenging tasks. Show that you're eager to contribute and learn.
  2. Network, Network, Network: Build relationships with your colleagues and superiors. These connections can be invaluable, not just for a return offer, but for your career in the long run.
  3. Feedback is Your Friend: Regularly ask for feedback and act on it. This demonstrates your commitment to personal and professional growth.
  4. Team Player: Consulting is a team sport. Show that you can collaborate effectively with others.
  5. Stay Informed: Keep up with industry trends and news. This will help you to contribute relevant insights during your internship.

Remember, while you're there to learn, MBB firms are also looking at your potential to join them full-time. So, give it your all, and don't forget to enjoy the ride – it's going to be bananas! 🍌

Sources: BB SA 2022 Return offer rates, Return Offers Summer 2016, 2019 Return Offer %, MM Return offer rates, Current SA's: How Y'all Feeling About Return Offers?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

Incoming 2024 analyst who interned last year. Obviously not super qualified to comment on what they will do this year but have better perspective than someone who has never worked there. I imagine it’ll be pretty normal. Last year Bain and McKinsey were at like 95% return offers. BCG way overhired (at least in the large office I’m familiar with. Literally had twice as big of an intern class from the previous year) and gave like 80-85% return offers. I think BCG cut back to more normal levels of intern hiring this year (not certain but definitely less kids from my school this year) so I’m guessing they will all be at like 95% return offer rates. I would say not getting a return offer should be rare and something you shouldn’t be blindsided by. I literally asked my supervisor during our weekly internship check-in if I was still on track to get a return offer every week to make sure I wasn’t falling behind without realizing it. Happy to answer any specific questions you have

Hey everyone! Gonna add on to what anon had to say. Yes, McKinsey and Bain had much better offer %'s than BCG. I will note that collectively averages may have been high, but depending on location it can be much lower. I know east coast offices for BCG had much lower on average return offers with some even going as low as 50% (NYC, Philly, DC). Should rebound this year though! Hope this helps.

Quia amet sed provident. Sunt autem sed repudiandae aut quos hic modi. Dolores voluptatibus et et repudiandae.

Repudiandae voluptates pariatur dolorem ad eligendi id. Dolore est optio et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”