FLDP or Controller at F500 O&G

FLDP programs are seen by a majority of people in the CF world to one of the more coveted CF jobs out of undergrad. I am curious as to what you all think which route will lead to better exit opportunities in the future an FLDP (MSFT/J&J/IBM) or a role in CF at an O&G major.

Would love to see if any of you have personally seen either of these career paths play out.

Thank you

Hi OSU8686, any of these threads helpful:

• MBB->???-> CEO Fortune 500 operational role at an F500 but I haven't seen that happen very often/ever. So, what is the best path to ... management role in a F500 company. It seems that in order to do that you need to go from MBB to some type of ... into finance of some sort (PE, Hedge Funds, Asset Mgmt etc) or corporate strategy (i.e. internal ...
  • ALDI Internship vs. Fortune 500 Internship ALDI for their District Manager internship. The F500 offers are all your typical financial analyst ... investment banks when I apply for an internship my Junior year. Am I better off just taking one of the F500 ... Hey everyone, I'm currently a Sophomore Finance major at a non-target (University of ...
  • The Path To Becoming a Fortune 500 CEO rose through the ranks in the finance departments at Gulf Oil and Chevron before she was rotated into ... Original Article at Forbes: The Path to Becoming a Fortune 500 CEO The Path To Becoming A Fortune ... Fortune 500 CEOs. Here's some of what the study discovered: Develop Financial Acumen About 30 percent ...
  • Fortune 500 corporate finance internship? What would finance interns do at F500 companies? Internship ...
  • Fortune 500 Finance Rotation to HF? for a HF? A) Finance rotation at Fortune 500 company while studying for the CFA-----> Get a job at ... at Fortune 500 company while studying for the CFA-----> Get a job in ER in the sector I previously ... a sector specific HF after I get my CFA and some industry specific work experience. or B) Finance rotation ...
  • Are Fortune 500 Finance Analyst Programs still hiring? where. Looking at Fortune 500 but since I applied to everything on OCR at my college, I know F500 do not ... them to help me. Question is are F500 finance still looking to hire? I would think some are still but ... recruit for finance and ops and a few credit are recruited for but probably not that much finance
  • Finance Role at Fortune 500 Companies Hey guys, I've been so focused on banking that I totally ruled out finance jobs at fortune ... worth pursuing. What are the types of entry level FT jobs are F500 companies? What is the career path ... 500 companies. I'm just trying to get an idea of the lifestyle and pay to see if its something ...
  • More suggestions...

Fingers crossed that one of those helps you.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

FLDP (Any other industry) > O&G.... why silo yourself in an industry when you don't have to? Especially one as cyclical as O&G, not to mention its bleak future outlook. The rotational element in a FLDP cannot be understated... FLDP hands down.

Thank you all for your comments! My tentative path is to work for O&G CF (3-5 year) --> MBA (Rice/UT/Cox) or if possible I will go MBA business schools">M7. --> stay in O&G CF or O&G Banking/specialized O&G role at MBB. would love to hear your thoughts & what you have seen through your career. Also would like to know why and how you got out of O&G if you would like to share.

Thank you in advance

P.S i have until 5pm tomorrow ( 11/29) to decide :)

Most Helpful

Unless O&G is where you want to be long term, I'd go with the FLDP. I'm coming off my FLDP this summer, and when I finish I'll have 3 different jobs/experiences under my belt and will be starting into my 4th. Everyone else my age might have 2 roles under their belt. The rotational and training aspect of a FLDP looks great on a resume.

On top of that (and probably most importantly) you have the signaling power to other companies that you were a top candidate and were selected to be in the FLDP. If you are a regular hire, it is harder for them to differentiate if you were a top candidate or just part of the riff raff. Think of it like going to a top school- there are dumb people at top schools and smart people at non-targets. The ones at the top school are better off because of the signaling power.

Another thing to note is that all else equal, MBAs are going to look more favorably on an FLDP than a regular finance employee.

Rem voluptas earum doloribus est et. Enim velit non illo quia rerum. Harum minima ducimus velit quisquam. Corporis qui porro dolor error et iste.

Recusandae odio quia eligendi. Dolorum sed voluptatem sapiente modi rerum. Laboriosam perferendis in voluptate nihil sed expedita fuga maxime. Numquam qui ipsam est dolorum quam et sunt.

Ipsam est neque ut et. Hic atque provident quia sit repellat. Maxime nulla saepe voluptatem consequatur et cupiditate. Numquam tenetur temporibus sunt mollitia explicabo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”