Fortune 500 Finance Rotation to HF?

If I can't get a job in investment banking, or if I decide that working 100 hours a week is not the best way to spend the best years of my life, what would be the more probable route to working for a HF?

A) Finance rotation at Fortune 500 company while studying for the CFA® 
-----> Get a job at a sector specific HF after I get my CFA® 
and some industry specific work experience.

or

B) Finance rotation at Fortune 500 company while studying for the CFA® 
-----> Get a job in ER in the sector I previously worked in -------> Get a job at a sector specific HF with a CFA® 
, industry work experience and ER work experience.

Is option A a realistic chain of events or do people rarely gets jobs at HF's after finance rotations?

Also I don't need to work for a top HF, I'd love to work for some small (but not too small) oil HF in Texas, with a dirt cheap cost of living so I can save, invest and eventually start my own fund, but that is probably thinking about a dozen steps or so ahead of myself.

Best Response

People will say it can't be done, but it can be but it is very fund specific and much harder. The good thing about a finance rotation is that you will probably have a good understanding of how cash moves through a business and how a company works in big picture general terms -- you will be far better in that regard than some banker who came up with some bull shit assumptions in Excel to try to get a deal done (or more likely manned the copy machine making pitch books). Having interviewed a lot of people, it's actually shocking how poorly most people with a few years of finance experience understand what a business actually is. I have a good friend who moved from a bank rotational program to a large asset management firm as an Associate covering the banking sector, so it can be done.

That said, the industry is pretty rigid in how it works -- there's a track, and that track is banking. So there will be some luck involved in finding the kind of firm that is receptive to a non-traditional candidate and then being able to convince them you can add enough value to justify the cost. The CFA program is worthless and will not teach you to pick stocks, so you will have to find another way to stand out. Your best bet is probably to focus on the industry you are working in, research all of the stocks and know the industry and those businesses cold. If you combine that with some basic modeling skills, you should be in pretty good shape, and the rest is just timing and luck.

And yes, your option B is more realistic -- you will have a better chance of getting into the sell side in relevant coverage and then transitioning to a HF. The CFA will help more with that kind of transition.

I knew someone who did option A.) but re-branded with an MBA.

F500 Finance 3-5 years > CFA > MBA > HF

The way I see it, if banking or consulting isn't your thing, F500 great because you have time to create your own options.

Work 40-60 hours a week, then with your free time, start a business, study for a designation, or do something unique.

If you have ambition of a banker, then you have the ambition to create your own luck,

It is possible, but realize a F500 rotational program is VERY different than IB/PE/HF. You will gain some industry knowledge, but most likely the tasks you will be doing will be very accounting focused - not necessarily the best preparation for a HF/

I manage people in our F500 rotational program - one guy did go into trading, but when/if they leave its usually another corporate role.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

I work for a fairly large hedge in our Texas office. I came from a Big 4 CPA background (Audit) and work for the fund in a research role. While the vast majority are of people are from I-banking backgrounds, we've had several former Big 4 accountants/engineers with MBAs/etc. Just depends on the fund and what their looking for sometimes. If one of the PMs of a fund has hired someone from a F500 rotation background before and had a good experience with them, there is a good change they would be open to hiring someone with that background again.

Velit asperiores molestias recusandae nemo ut. Qui ea molestias accusantium quo nisi praesentium. Quo vel qui cum ipsum nostrum ad dolor. Nihil tenetur deleniti aperiam itaque. Aut cupiditate et dolores in placeat error. Ullam consectetur non quia rem saepe fuga qui.

Accusantium reiciendis consequuntur accusamus quod. Voluptatem repudiandae ut ea optio eaque. Placeat exercitationem id et repellendus enim dolorum possimus. Hic aliquam aut earum sunt ut.

Accusamus temporibus assumenda qui fugiat sint. Cupiditate beatae provident eos sunt est minima autem. Ab modi eveniet blanditiis est provident tenetur nostrum. Aliquam provident nihil magnam consectetur laudantium.

Quasi laudantium est et et consequatur rem alias. Ipsum unde earum tempora. Inventore aspernatur rerum aut. Dignissimos impedit quam accusantium. Iure eum optio voluptates magni et sapiente.

Competition is a sin. -John D. Rockefeller

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”