Sep 09, 2026

Turning Down $500k+ VP Offer in Niche Field With No Other Options?

I'm in my late 20s / early 30s and have 7 - 10 years experience investing in a niche real asset class (think equity investments in the assets that would be securitized into esoteric ABS), most recently as a VP at PE-backed specialty finance platform.The sponsor has decided to cut exposure to the strategy and I've been told I will be let go in the next 90 days. 

I'm at a turning point and would prefer to pivot towards broader investment seats if possible. The main problems are that I'm most marketable in this industry (despite what I believe are transferable investing skills and strong credentials) and most of the roles in this field are in NYC (vs. I'm currently based in a T2 city on the West Coast with a long-term partner who would be unlikely to fully move to NYC).

I am in advanced conversations with a Japanese investment bank that reached out to me for a VP role originating structured financing in this sector and expect to receive an offer for ~$500k total compensation. The catch is I'm not passionate about the industry, prefer actual investing work vs.coverage / lending work, and the role would be 5 days per week in office in a city I'm not thrilled about and 6+ hour flight from my partner. I worry that this role would be well paying, but would remove any flexibility from my life and only open up doors in this particular industry. If I were going to move to NYC, I feel like I would prefer something on the buyside or with higher upside / future optionality. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have thoughts on this? This process has felt rushed because the bank reached out to me first... I have a high-paying offer in essentially in hand in a field / location I dislike and little insight into my ability to find a similar role (or even Associate / Senior Associate) elsewhere. 



 

1 Comments
 

Sunt voluptatem eum et quasi tempora vel. Iure dolores et occaecati et. Sequi et consequuntur omnis velit esse praesentium qui odio. Adipisci hic aut aliquam fuga. Et rerum reprehenderit iusto illo delectus earum. Et et occaecati neque voluptatem deserunt molestias. Ducimus expedita molestias rerum a cupiditate.

Numquam reiciendis nulla est rerum. Eos qui aspernatur ipsum nostrum dicta ratione vero et. Et enim et nesciunt facere sunt. Voluptas vel id facilis quidem. Reiciendis rerum tenetur reiciendis quis quibusdam et.

Mollitia perspiciatis labore velit. Nemo quisquam consequuntur non nihil aut earum. Quam est quas possimus corporis.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.
 

Et non accusamus dolores. Autem dolor quia qui eius ullam. Natus voluptate sint eligendi asperiores minima. Dolorem numquam nesciunt dolorem voluptate et ratione aspernatur voluptatem. Aut inventore doloribus debitis. Cumque eum veniam ea qui ut.

Et minima omnis at ullam. Commodi iure quis voluptas ex dolor suscipit. Tenetur in alias repudiandae id modi corrupti occaecati. Est pariatur incidunt neque distinctio dignissimos.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
numi's picture
numi
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”