401k/Roth VS Brokerage Account

Been in my career for about a decade now and have never enrolled in a 401k plan. I believe my current employer will match up to 3% of my income, if I contribute the max. Given my income, I would not be able to use 401k contributions to lower my AGI on taxes.

My income is too high to contribute to a Roth IRA. 

With that being said, I have been saving for my own retirement (or whatever else) in a "plain vanilla" brokerage account. I'm stashing away FAR more than the 401k contribution limit + employer match. My rationale is that I would like the freedom to do whatever I want, without paying attention to retirement age, having more investment options available (e.g. real estate), not having to worry about tax implications, etc. Goal is to retire by 50 or 55. 

To me, there is value in having immediate liquidity and the option to increase/decrease my "contributions" on a whim. I realize the importance of staying disciplined and not raiding my brokerage account without strong reason.

Should I switch employers, which I believe I inevitably will, there would be no administrative hassles with moving or tracking seperate accounts/plans. It's nice having all my assets consolidated in a few places, instead all over the place.

What am I missing by not participating in a formal retirement plan? Maybe some degree of personal asset protection (i.e. lawsuit/divorce)? 

Which financial company do you work for that only offers 3% matching? That seems a bit miserly to me for banking. 

I think most of your analysis is spot on, I am in a similar situation because I'm not eligible for Roth and I make too much for the tax benefits of an IRA and I don't like the IRA lock-up either. So I too manage my own investments. However, I still participate in the 401k because my employer matches 6% and you are essentially getting a 100% return on that money. Plus, if your company offers a stock purchase plan, it's usually a requirement to do it via the 401k (and I buy that stock too). So for those two reasons I do participate but again, I think most of your analysis (especially the ability to direct that money to whatever investment you want) is spot on. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that you can also do loans against a 401k. So while your money is locked up until retirement, you can still borrow from it if you ever need a cash injection and pay a very reasonable rate - and you're the beneficiary of the rate! I think of it as capping the interest I will ever have to pay since I'll never need to take a ridiculous loan out for the rest of my life, I can always just pull from my 401k at a reasonable rate and pay the interest to myself. 

I believe my company matches 100% of contributions up to 3% of total comp. If your company matches only 50% up to 6% of comp, it's essentially the same thing.

I know you can borrow against your 401k, but I believe there are limits and it's quite a technical process. If you don't follow all the rules accurately, you could end up getting hit with penalties that go to Uncle Sam. 

Most Helpful

Missing a lot:

- 401k contributions are deducted from your W2 income (and your AGI is thus lower). There is no income phase out. There is only a phase out on employer matches

- You are missing a free 3% every year

- Your income is too high for a Roth IRA. But not too high for a backdoor Roth. What does this mean? Contribute to a traditional IRA and immediately convert to a Roth. You never pay taxes on those dollars again

- You can always put excess funds in a brokerage account. It isn't one or the other

- You say not having to think about tax implications - all you're saying is you're okay paying more taxes

- Agree there isn't as much freedom with retirement-type accounts, but there is a good amount of freedom. You can always pull out Roth contributions tax free. You can get 401k loans. But you're not wrong. Hopefully you would have enough sitting outside retirement accounts to still be able to do what you want. In these types of careers, because of the limits on contributions, most of your net worth should sit outside retirement accounts at 50-55, even if you max out everything

- You can always increase/decrease your contributions on a whim with retirement accounts

- Switching employers - I guess there's an extra step, but it's pretty easy to roll a 401k to your new employer or your IRA

- The amount of tax savings is likely in the range of mid six figures if you max out from 25-55

- Roth IRAs are also great to pass on to beneficiaries - a lot of continued tax free growth for your children

If you think your effective tax rate will go up you should contribute to Roth accounts/ roll over to a Roth account. Then you pay the tax now but there is no tax at retirement age. 

To Lancer's point, Roth is a great option then. Also keep in mind that when you contribute to traditional 401k, you are saving at the marginal tax rate. When you are withdrawing in retirement, you are paying at your effective tax rate. So you would have to believe that your effective tax rate in the future > marginal tax rate today. Very possible. I basically do 50/50 traditional / Roth

Funniest

Adipisci dicta ut eius dolorum sapiente corrupti nulla incidunt. Facilis et optio quod dolores possimus et. Vel ut voluptatem ut illo enim fugiat tempore nihil. Consequatur quam debitis consequatur est quis. Mollitia veniam quo harum quas.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”