Friday Pop | The Daily Peel | 7/18/22

Silver Banana goes to...

Logo

Market Snapshot

Futures Friday pointed towards a positive day as earnings season started to take off. Oil was soft, still trading below $100 and signaling a potential economic slowdown. The yield curve remains inverted, and ETH and BTC are still significantly depressed.

At the closing bell, the Dow was up 2.15%, the S&P climbed 1.92%, and the Nasdaq moved 1.79% higher.

We’re excited to announce WSO has partnered with Bloomberg Exam Prep to offer a whopping 100 ‘naners off regular GMAT prep plans. For this application cycle only, use their prep technology to crush the GMAT. Get the score you need to set your application apart. Use this link

Let’s get into it.

Banana Bits

• MBA admissions are cut-throat these days, but we know a guy who can help
  • Earnings compression: with 100 bps rate hike concerns in the rearview, earnings will drive market movements this week, according to CNBC
  • Gen Z has been cooped up unfairly for two years, and now they’re on a mission to find some “revenge travel
  • Banks had one hell of a day on Friday; here’s why
  • Looking for a good deal on an EV? Here’s one, but there’s kind of a catch

Banana Brain Teaser

Friday — Jamaal is a butcher. He’s 74 inches tall. What does he weigh?

Meat.

Today — For today’s BBT, we will chop 100 bananas off our Excel Master Bootcamp coming up on 23 July.

What starts with a T, ends with a T, and has T in it?

Shoot us your guesses at [email protected] with the subject line "Banana Brain Teaser" or simply click here to reply!

Macro Monkey Says

Dividends Looking Saucy — As valuations have compressed, many of you are likely eyeing some tickers that are now offering very appetizing dividends.

Logically speaking, if a stock loses 20% and still plans to pay a dividend, that annual yield will go up. It’s science.

Not so fast, scooter.

As companies enter a recession and enter austerity mode, the last thing they’re going to do is pay a 6% dividend as they try to cut costs and eliminate waste throughout the business.

This is particularly true as revenues slow, free cash flow takes a dump, and the board of directors is concerned about their massive insider positions being down 35%.

If you’re new to this game, the last thing you want is to seek out some REIT looking for a fat 10% dividend only to watch them slash their payout, sending the share price into freefall.

Some dividends are not safe. Others typically are. Consider some dividend stalwarts like Verizon Wireless of Coca-Cola. $VZ pays north of 5%, and $KO pays a 2.8% yield.

There are also some big banks that tend to protect their dividends as they attempt to attract value investors for the long haul. These names include Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, and at times, Wells Fargo.

In a market downturn, there usually aren’t a ton of places to hide. It’s kind of the opposite of a rising tide that raises all boats. If you’re on the long side and the entire market takes a dump—well, you get the idea.

A little bit of a dividend can help weather the storm while also generating a little bit of cash flow for you. This can be reinvested or redirected for the next best opportunity that pops up on your horizon.

The Best Way to Prep for the GMAT

banner

We’re excited to announce WSO has partnered with Bloomberg Exam Prep to offer a whopping 100 'nanners off regular GMAT prep plans. For this application cycle only, get the score you need to secure your seat at a T20 or even a Magnificent 7 MBA program.

The admissions process is rigorous & highly competitive. Set yourself apart with a prep plan to master the entire exam curriculum. Leverage adaptive learning technology, premium content and one-on-one tutoring to earn your best score, guaranteed.

Use this link

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Ripe

Citigroup ($C) — Often referred to as Sh*ttygroup, their earnings call on Friday proved that they are far from the underlying snark of that moniker. By all measures, they had what I’d call a home-f*cking-run of a quarter.

Their earnings were so great that they buoyed other big banks and our WSO Alpha position $KCE in the process. On their earnings blowout, $C rose 13.23%.

Netflix ($NFLX) — As far as big tech names go, if you’re holding $NFLX into their earnings on Tuesday afternoon, you probably are asking yourself, what’s the worst that could happen?

Investors left and right are bracing for impact. There are some pros to owning the name right about now, but the Street is concerned about subscriber loss, competition, forex hits to revenues due to a strong dollar, and a general subscription fatigue that I so eloquently outlined a few months ago.

On Friday, $NFLX was up 8.20%. Will it be up again this week?

What's Rotten

Tilray Brands, Inc ($TLRY) — The weed industry isn’t really set up for success just yet, hence why the US House of Reps just passed verbiage for a bill called SAFE for literally the 7th time. Yes, 7 times.

That bill is still likely to be defeated in the Senate, leaving the mary jane industry out blowing smoke in the cold once again.

At the same time, $TLRY ended an allegedly strategic partnership with Hexo after investing more than $155Mn into the Canadian cannabis company. It’s likely that those untold millions have gone literally up in smoke as the partnership soured.

Friday, $TLRY lost 10.57%.

First Solar ($FSLR) — Joe Manchin is at it again. This guy has a penchant for crushing souls, and $FSLR, apparently, was on his list.

After the Democrat from WV ran his mouth espousing that additional climate change spending is stupid and inflationary—his words, not mine—shares of $FSLR took an 8.12% dump on Friday.

Inflation is out of control; additional taxes to fund tax credits for luxury goods like solar panels as well as subsidies to solar companies don’t seem like the brightest idea right now.

Thought Banana

The Ponzi Scheme Rolls on — When my parents were my age, everyone told them not to expect to receive social security.

That check won’t be there when you’re our age, they said to them. But now that many Baby Boomers are in retirement or it’s right around the corner, the social security coffers floweth to an entire generation of Americans.

Social Security, by all means, is a bit of a Ponzi scheme. Given the way that Congress borrows against it like a teenager taking margin loans to buy OTM GME calls in 2021, it would seem tough to run your household budget as the government runs the SSA.

For the sake of the Boomers, the millennial generation had to be huge. Not just in physical stature, although there probably is something in the water because only 20% or so of young Americans are in good enough physical shape to join the military, but I digress.

There had to be a sh*t load of millennials so that the government could afford to pay Boomers their social security. It’s science. That’s how Ponzi schemes work.

This is great for Boomers, especially as Millennials hit their stride in the workforce, entering their earnings prime.

But when you consider the large millennial generation hitting their prime, there are some potentially inflationary pressures.

Millennials tend to wait a little longer than their Boomer parents to buy homes, have children, and save for retirement. But it looks like loads of millennials decided to enter the housing market all at once in the last few years, especially as the pandemic raged.

Now that they’ve broken the seal, this trend might not cool off for a while. This might mean that a lot of millennial money is going to be chasing too few goods and homes in this country.

Long term, that’s bad for inflation, and it also means that interest rates might remain elevated for some time.

This is purely a little bit of a hot take. I usually write with a few datasets in front of me and then synthesize ideas from them into words, but this time, it’s the seat of my pants.

Interest rates and home prices over the next decade will paint the full picture and determine if I’m wrong. Which one of you is going to call me out in 2030?

Wise Investor Says

“Young man, make your name worth something.” — Andrew Carnegie

Happy Investing, Patrick & The Daily Peel Team Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.   ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Odit placeat aut nulla aut voluptatem. At iure maxime ipsum et delectus molestias laborum. Soluta et repellendus dignissimos quis quo. Dolor magni quasi aperiam est. Aut recusandae reprehenderit molestias delectus reiciendis.

Sunt molestiae eius consequatur voluptatibus. Eos ipsum velit ea minima iure rerum fugit esse. In voluptatem facilis ea voluptatibus.

Voluptatibus unde ex ea ut voluptatem in dolores. Repellendus ut doloremque debitis soluta quisquam. Dolores et cupiditate et iusto soluta repellendus.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”