Have We Hit Bottom? | The Daily Peel | 10/14/22

Market Snapshot

Markets initially dropped on news that core CPI accelerated to 6.6% in September, up from 6.3% in August.

But they quickly bounced back and surged higher as certainty around a 75-point hike in November grew, and investors figured that the selling had gone too far.

The question now becomes whether the Fed thinks the current hiking schedule is still sufficient or whether it needs to tighten the screws further.

At the close, the Dow shot up 2.83%, the Nasdaq rose 2.23%, and the S&P gained 2.6%.

WSO’s DCF Modeling Course can get you up to speed on all things discounted cash flow that you will need to both survive and excel in finance. From the big picture, to fundamentals, to enterprise and equity valuation practice, you’ll take a deep dive into topics that are crucial for anyone who wants to work in Finance.
Master DCF Modeling today

Let’s get into it.

Monkey meme of the day

meme

Source

Banana Bits

Banana Brain Teaser

Yesterday — I can fly, but I have no wings. I can cry, but I have no eyes. Wherever I go, darkness follows me. What am I?

Clouds.

Today — It’s 50 bananas off of our DCF Modeling Course for the first 15 correct respondents. LFG!

If you throw me out the window, I'll leave a grieving wife. Bring me back, but through the door, and you'll see someone giving life. What am I?

Shoot us your guesses at [email protected] with the subject line Banana Brain Teaser or simply click here to reply!

Macro Monkey Says

Hard-To-Find Labor Has Its Perks — The biggest thing people worry about in a recession is losing their job. In a competitive marketplace, shedding workers during a downturn is just part of the game…unless you have long-term worries about your ability to attract talent.

• Companies are starting to talk about keeping employees in case a recession comes next year, even if it comes at the expense of profits
  • The shift in mindset could lessen the pain of a recession
  • The domino effect of people losing their jobs, then consuming less, which leads to more job losses, could be curbed if companies hold on to workers

America’s domestic consumer market is the linchpin of its economic stability. Once the consumer starts tightening or is overwhelmed by debt, bad things start to happen.

That’s partially why the economy has been trudging along without a traditional “recession” coming about in 2022. Persistent inflation and falling stock markets have dinged the average person’s wealth, but they’ve managed to keep their spending relatively stable.

Too few workers to fill the enormous demand enabled by money printing is what got us into this inflationary mess in the first place.

But if it incentivizes companies to keep workers throughout a downturn, the severity of a recession could be minimized.

WSO DCF Modeling Course

WSO’s DCF Modeling Course can get you up to speed on all things discounted cash flow that you will need to both survive and excel in finance. From the big picture, to fundamentals, to enterprise and equity valuation practice, you’ll take a deep dive into topics that are crucial for anyone who wants to work in Finance.

Our robust curriculum will help you thrive in the most prestigious jobs on Wall Street. Book your course today.

Master DCF Modeling Today

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Ripe

Domino’s Pizza ($DPZ) — You can have eye-watering inflation and the deepest recession imaginable, and people will still order large pepperonis on the reg.

Despite higher prices and labor challenges, Domino’s managed to grow its top line in the quarter.

It sets a positive tone for other major restaurant chains set to report earnings soon, including McDonald’s and Chipotle.

$DPZ was up 10.44% by the end of the day.

Barclays ($BCS) — The British bank was up big Thursday on the back of a wide-ranging market rebound in the U.K.

Hope for some sanity in financial markets sent the pound, bonds, and stocks higher in Britain. An announcement of a fiscal plan that makes more sense could add fuel to the recovery.

Barclays has lost 20% in the past month, so the bump was much needed.

$BCS was up 8.43% by the end of the day.

What's Rotten

Coinbase ($COIN) — Despite news of a partnership with Google in crypto cloud payments, $COIN continued losing ground Thursday.

The crypto winter is as dark as ever, and investors aren’t expecting much to change until rates stabilize and risk assets are on the table again.

For now, $COIN is playing the long game and betting on a crypto resurgence in the future.

$COIN is down 11.99% in the last month.

Etsy ($ETSY) — The e-commerce platform told investors that inflation was a primary factor that drove slowing sales in Q2.

Well, inflation has only gotten worse since then, and investors are expecting an ever sharper slowdown as a result.

The sharp decline comes less than a week after a buy rating from Goldman, so maybe there’s some value to be had.

By the end of the day, $ETSY was down 9.27%.

Thought Banana

Who Needs a Hummer EV? — The $110k Hummer EV Pickup weighs 6 tons, gets up to 1000 horsepower, and can reach 60 mph in 3.3 seconds.

For reference, an F1 car goes zero to 60 in 2.6 seconds.

It’s a f*cking incredible piece of machinery from a traditionally gas-guzzling brand.

Hummer, and other legacy car brands, are designing new EV models to be huge and incredibly powerful in order to cater to the traditional truck guy.

• EVs are starting to lap gas cars in terms of power and acceleration, and brands are souping up their vehicles to entice consumers with unbelievable speed
  • It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to wonder how safe a 12,000-pound tank zooming down the road is
  • Americans love big cars, and there isn’t any sign of that changing amid the transition to EVs

The U.S. has the highest traffic death rate in the developed world, so ensuring that the next generation of cars doesn’t regularly mow down pedestrians, or slam into each other, is pretty important.

Federal agencies have thus far been more focused on the climate benefits of EVs than the safety risks from their insane power and heavy weight.

These cars are basically computers on wheels, so hopefully, that intelligence can keep everybody safer on the road.

But if I see one of these Hummers zooming past me, I’m getting the hell out of the way.

Wise Investor Says

“The time to buy is when there’s blood in the streets.” — Baron Rothschild

Happy Investing, Patrick & The Daily Peel Team Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.   ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Tenetur enim inventore unde inventore maxime placeat. Reprehenderit accusantium eum atque tempora fugit non voluptatem.

Ex aliquam asperiores cum facilis assumenda dolor. Ad eius at ex et quibusdam officiis velit. Voluptas accusantium sint vero qui culpa saepe doloremque. Rerum a eligendi ut quia ut sit. Ad vel officia cupiditate minus asperiores amet unde.

Eaque sint cupiditate harum sunt. Quos assumenda maxime sint inventore. Fuga atque ut molestiae consequatur illum autem quam.

Nostrum cupiditate voluptatem unde veritatis iure est hic consequatur. Sequi quis et pariatur praesentium odit. Et et laborum ratione incidunt id expedita amet.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”