Joey B Loves Metallica | The Daily Peel | 3/31/22

Market Snapshot

RIP to that incredibly short winning streak equity markets saw last week. Traders completely killed the vibe yesterday, with hopes for Russian de-escalation in Ukraine fading more than the value of my portfolio. Naturally, oil gained on this news, and tradeoff had a moderately good day. 

All in all, the Nasdaq lost 1.21%, while the S&P shed 0.63%, and the Dow fell 0.19%.

Let’s get into it.

meme/tweet

Banana Bits

meme/tweet

Macro Monkey Says

No Homes for You — If you don’t already have or didn’t buy a home in the last few years, well, good luck being homeless for the rest of your life. Don’t worry, though. I’ll be right there with you, and I’m guessing so will a lot of people.

I didn’t realize this was actually possible, but home prices continued to accelerate to kick off 2022. January home prices grew at an annualized rate of 19.2%, according to the S&P Case-Shiller Index, increasing from December’s reading of 18.9%.

We already knew the housing market was a hodgepodge of garbage right now, but now we know that it’s still possible for things to get worse. Case-Shiller operates on a couple of months lag, hence the January report just dropping on Tuesday, so we’ll have to wait a while to see just how strong that trend is.

But all signs point to a pretty damn strong trend. Homebuilding in the US remains woefully behind demand, largely leading to the broad price jumps we’ve seen lately. Estimates show that between 2012 and 2021, 12.3mn households were formed within the United States, while only around 7mn homes were built. Doing some quick math, we can see that leaves a shortage of some 5.3mn homes. Not a great start.

In 2021, just 1.6mn homes were built, according to the US Census Bureau. As demand has only increased over that course of time, safe to say that shortage isn’t getting any better. Meanwhile, in 2021, many homebuyers were anything but families finally getting into the home of their dreams.

Firms like BlackRock, Blackstone, and a slew of other domestic and overseas investors have been buying up houses at the same rate that Will Smith is losing fans. Of course, the end goal with a lot of those purchases is to sell them, but trading literal houses is a bit different than trading stocks. Residential investors tend to keep them in their clutches for as long as they can. 

The one shining light that gives us some reason to think we’re not back in 2008 is rates. Mortgage rates hit over 4% for the first time in years recently, and as we saw a few Daily Peel’s ago, price elasticity is showing. New home sales slowed dramatically and against expectations, so while we’re watching prices skyrocket, we’re not seeing the same subprime-loan-fueled buying bonanza that led to the GFC. 

Or maybe we are. Who really knows because I sure as hell don’t. Like Samuel Goldwyn, we don’t like to make predictions, especially about the future.

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Ripe

Lululemon ($LULU) — What’s the saying? When the market gives you lemons, make them Lulu? Something like that…

Regardless, that saying was hella true yesterday. Lulu popped off 9.6% after a classic beat and raised earnings release late Tuesday. Net income exploded by 131% to $434.5mn, translating to an EPS of $3.36, while the Street was looking for $3.27. Sales were up 47% QoQ, but not enough to beat analyst guesses.

I hate to burst the bubble of any Lulu-wearing apes out there, but much like the Fed, rates on the company’s products are getting hiked next quarter. 

Might be time to check out one of the millions of Lulu knockoffs that plagues your Instagram feed.

Formula One Group ($FWONK) — We love weird ass companies here at the Peel, so let’s take a look at Formula One Group… or is it called Liberty Media…? Tough to tell. But when a business doesn’t even know its own name, I’m into it. 

The wonkily named FWONK shares popped 3.5% yesterday, and while there was exactly 0 news to support this, we’ll take that all day. Essentially, Liberty Media group is a “media” investment firm. Its biggest holdings consist of, get this, 1) Formula One, 2) SiriusXM, and 3) the Atlanta Braves. Seems legit.

Yeah, it sounds pretty f*ckin’ weird, but it’s working out for them. F1 viewership is ramping up and might have something to do with the stock’s 61% 1-year gain. 

Don’t sleep on the weird ones, apes.

meme/tweet

What's Rotten

Restoration Hardware ($ RH) — The world’s most pretentious retailer has gotten a good taste of the downside lately, falling well over 40% since mid-December and adding another 13.3% loss yesterday.

Restoration Hardware — the store that’s too good to call their stores “stores” and instead uses the term “galleries” — completely sh*t the bed last quarter. 

Revenue came in over $30mn short of expectations, clocking in $902.7mn for the quarter while raking in $4.91/sh GAAP on those sales. Wall Street wanted $5.52/sh.

Honestly, I don’t even feel bad about this one. Maybe a nice price correction will knock the pompous BS out of them.

Concentrix ($CNXC) — Congrats to the Concentrix team for having the second-worst performance in the entire Russell 1000 yesterday (only behind $ RH). Even solid earnings couldn’t pull them out of the water. Shares plummeted 11.5% by close, but in classic Mr. Market fashion, there wasn’t a whole lotta reason for it. 

Revenue grew a bit slower than expected. But still, you can’t be mad about a 13.5% quarterly bump. EPS grew nearly 24% from a year ago, hitting $2.09/sh, well above the $1.83 expected. So, Mr. Market, what are you mad about?

Oh yeah, they also announced that no share repurchases had occurred during the quarter. After authorizing and promising share repurchases for the whole year, Mr. Market may feel a bit betrayed. You don’t wanna break a promise with him. 

meme/tweet

Thought Banana

Joey B Loves Metal — Turns out Joe Biden is a pretty big Metallica and Black Sabbath fan. The President is reportedly considering invoking the Defense Production Act to ramp up domestic production of metal.

Oh, wait a minute, I just read the report, and it’s not metal as in music, but metal as in actual metal. That makes a lot more sense.

That makes more sense, as you may have noticed lately that metal prices are skyrocketing as supplies continue to flounder while supply chains seem to still think we’re in the middle of the pandemic. To combat this and ensure all those EV firms have access to their metal, Joey B might dole out some lithium.

But it’s not just lithium. Biden has his eyes on supplies of graphite, nickel, cobalt, manganese, and a few other words that remind me of 10th grade chemistry class. Under the Defense Production Act (DPA), companies gain access to government funding to facilitate productivity, general operations, and, of course, safety.

Experts view the move as potentially taking us one step closer to energy and material independence, something that we’ve all now realized might just be slightly important. 

Nothing is set in stone yet, but certain material and industrial stocks were hyped. Lithium Americas gained almost 12%, while MP Materials gained 9% early to finish up 3.3%.

Apologies in advance, apes, but I have to say it. Got metal?

Wise Investor Says

“Stock prices can go to zero. Commodities cannot. Unlike shares in a company, commodities are real things that are always likely to be worth something to somebody.” — Jim Rogers

Happy Investing, Patrick & The Daily Peel Team Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.   ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Modi adipisci sapiente explicabo. Mollitia sint quis aut amet aut. Debitis assumenda voluptatem tempore temporibus.

Omnis reprehenderit et laborum doloribus deleniti. Id exercitationem officia occaecati eos. Dolores nulla sunt corrupti libero. Maiores commodi at dolorem saepe doloribus illo esse.

Qui veritatis quam officiis error ipsa unde. Voluptates totam ut ea quisquam culpa et dolorum. Debitis culpa exercitationem sed culpa. Cumque et sunt error id illo voluptatem error saepe. Nostrum consequatur eum qui est voluptates quas.

Consequatur cumque aut quod non autem quis quia qui. Cum et eveniet laborum est. Tempore perspiciatis dolores quo aut qui. Similique minima modi quisquam ad est non.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”