Musk Master of Misdirection | The Daily Peel | 7/11/22

Market Snapshot

Futures were flat Friday morning, and we couldn’t stop reading about internal thrash within the Twitter deal as well as our favorite meme stock. The 10-year yield hovered around 3%, and Crude climbed back above $104. BTC and ETH held steady around 20.5k and 1100 bucks.

Markets were mixed. The Dow was down 0.15%, the S&P was down 0.08%, and the Nasdaq finished up 0.12%.

Certain skills are indispensable in Finance: using Excel without a mouse, a thorough understanding of the principles of financial statements, and PowerPoint Ninja skills to slay any pitch deck. Set yourself up for success and sharpen your skills with our WSO Foundations Package.

Let’s get into it.

Banana Bits

Banana Brain Teaser

Friday — Is it legal for a man to marry his widow’s sister? He’s dead.

Today — For today's BBT, we will slash 100 'naners off of our WSO Foundations Package for the first 20 correct respondents.

A man was walking in the rain. He was in the middle of nowhere. He had nothing and nowhere to hide. He came home all wet, but not a single hair on his head was wet. Why is that?

Shoot us your guesses at [email protected] with the subject line Banana Brain Teaser or simply click here to reply!

Macro Monkey Says

Stronger than Expected Payrolls— Friday, we saw nonfarm payrolls come in about 50% higher than the consensus estimate. Sure, this is only 125k jobs more than what the world was expecting, but it is a significant deviation from the trend.

We’ve written this before: it’s hard to have a recession with 10 million open jobs.

We would like to rephrase this quip. It’s hard for it to feel like we’re in a recession with 10 million open jobs. Sure, this June payroll pump makes it feel like the economy isn’t as bleak as you’d think, but there is still probably a rough patch ahead.

The unemployment rate is 3.6%. That’s like historically low. I’m not sure if Parik Patel, BA, CFA ACCA Esq. would agree that this is full employment, but basically, if you don’t have a job right now and you want one, you’re probably looking in all the wrong places.

It’s also noteworthy that strong payrolls could mean that demand is not being curbed quickly enough to actually fight off inflation. Without a little bit of demand destruction and more people making more money, the consumer is going to continue to inject inflation pressure into the overall economy.

In other words, this kinda sucks. So much for our strong dose of tough medicine analogy.

Perhaps there has been a fundamental shift in how the economy works that would preclude traditional monetary policy tools from working like they did back in the Volcker days.

It’s hard to ask the old hats like Greenspan and Bernanke about such a shift because these economists are so old they probably have trouble answering calls on their smartphones.

One thing that I would bet money on is this: while the future of the economy might be bright, there’s a dark and stormy period through which we need to navigate to get there.

WSO Foundations Package

banner

Certain skills are indispensable in Finance. Financial statements are the backbone of fundamental analysis, and Excel and PowerPoint are their love languages. If you want to be successful in this world, knowing the ins and outs of these three foundational topics will make you dangerous in any shop, from boutique to BB.

Dive into more than 100 lessons put together by experienced finance professionals that will help you sharpen the skills you need to build your foundation in Finance.

WSO Foundations Package

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Ripe

Tesla ($TSLA) — I think Tesla and Elon simps would actually prefer if Elon stopped pulling his money out of Tesla and focused more on Tesla’s growth.

On Friday, shares of $TSLA were up 2.27%. The stock has mounted a comeback, climbing over 10% last week. Rumor has it that June was a great month for production.

We will see how their bottom line looks during their next earnings call.

Enphase Energy ($ENPH) — People have been claiming that solar is the future for decades, and Enphase is part of that crowd.

You’d think that when oil rips, solar energy companies too might rip, as more expensive oil would drive increased demand for solar power at lower price points.

Shares of $ENPH climbed 4.65% on Friday.

What's Rotten

Disney ($DIS) — Disney is beaten down. After political thrash with the state, C-19 troubles, and controversy with local municipalities, the stock is down 38% YTD.

Friday, the backslide continued, and shares lost another 1.61%. Even with a battered stock, is it still the happiest place on earth?

Illumina Inc ($ILMN) — Biotech and genetic innovation are struggling of late, and $ILMN is on that train to nowhere itself.

Shares retreated 2.55% on Friday as the company is more or less going out of favor with Wall Street analysts.

The consensus rating is a HOLD, with more than two-thirds of its coverage thinking that the stock is more or less only going to move sideways in the near future.

Thought Banana

Musk Master of Misdirection — The Twitter deal is likely the only thing that Musk has pulled out of in a long time. (That’s a joke, you can laugh.)

But in all seriousness, there are many new opinions about who will win in court, what Elon is thinking, whose lawyers are better, etc., etc.

My thought is that Elon is using this as a negotiation technique. I’m not an attorney, but it would seem that he is up a paddle with a creek in his a** from a legal standpoint, given the analysis I’ve heard from multiple legal professionals on different cable news networks.

But this would be a huge legal battle, with exorbitant legal fees. It also would thrash the Twitter stock in the meantime, and it could take years to fight in court.

I think that Elon is basically bluffing here and that he wants to get a better deal now that he’s had a slight peek up Twitter’s kimono.

What does this mean for Twitter’s stock? Well, who knows. I wouldn’t touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Musk is irrational. He makes deals by the seat of his pants based on instinct, preferring gut feeling over due diligence.

That’s fine. If it works for him, which it obviously has in building multiple multi-billion dollar organizations from the ground up, he should roll with it. It’s just not my style, so no judgment here.

If you’re invested in Twitter, I’m not sure what advice I would give you, even if I gave financial advice.

There is a silver lining to this whole thing: it makes for solid entertainment in the media. Here’s to hoping the laughs keep coming for as long as Elon can drag this out.

Wise Investor Says

“Courage taught me no matter how bad a crisis gets... any sound investment will eventually pay off.” — Carlos Slim Helu

Happy Investing, Patrick & The Daily Peel Team Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.   ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Ipsa nihil voluptatem aut ut deleniti incidunt non. Doloremque voluptatum molestiae voluptatem sed occaecati quos quos aut. Maxime quis dolorem est id et ullam a enim. Eius deleniti cumque quisquam et repudiandae ut. Ut velit fuga nam sunt reiciendis magnam est. Molestias pariatur accusamus laudantium blanditiis magnam architecto non.

Nobis velit aliquid aliquam dolorem eum et consequatur. Ratione itaque itaque quia ullam pariatur recusandae quis itaque. Commodi excepturi voluptatibus unde totam nisi vero autem.

Quidem voluptatum et et pariatur. Id qui perspiciatis dolorem minus eum est delectus. Nostrum cupiditate rerum quis voluptas cupiditate soluta ut. Vero porro odit similique culpa omnis. Tenetur esse id ut nemo porro itaque quas. Veritatis in ut id ut.

Quia quidem porro corrupti vel. Totam qui sequi at maxime voluptas. Ullam illo quia voluptate hic in. Consequatur tenetur iste sit repudiandae earum.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”