Retail Tea Leaves Reveal a Mixed Bag | The Daily Peel | 11/17/22

Nov 17, 2022 | Peel #340

Market Snapshot

Today’s issue is all about retail. Consumer spending is the engine of the U.S. economy, and recent results are painting a puzzling picture.

People are still swiping at stores despite plummeting consumer confidence. Wtf is going on?

All of this will roll around in JPow’s noggin before the Fed’s December get-together.

Banana Bits

• BlockFi looks to be the next domino to fall as radiation from the FTX Ponzi infects the industry
  • Donny T threw his hat into the ring for 2024, setting up an epic showdown with DeSantis in the primary
  • It’s going to cost you more to get into the happiest place on Earth
  • NASA’s Artemis I, the first step in a broader plan to increase the human presence on the moon, launched successfully

Talk the Talk of IB With Our M&A Modeling Course

banner image

Imagine if Nike saw big growth potential in $120 yoga pants and decided to acquire Lululemon.

How would it go about deciding what price to pay? What would the process look like from start to finish? Who are the players involved?

Unless you’ve been in the heat of a deal before, it’s hard to get a good grasp on these questions…until now.

WSO’s M&A Modeling Course walks you through the above scenario and teaches you the tools of the trade in the process. Take a peek into the modeling requirements of a deal like this, how it’s different from other types of mergers, and what the buy side cares about vs. the sell side.

This course is absolutely jammed to the gills with good stuff that’ll help you land a gig on Wall Street. We know Peel readers will get a ton of value out of it, so we want to give out access to our Accounting Foundations Course for the first 50 Peel readers to sign up in the next 24 hours. That’s an insane amount of value that you can’t afford to pass up.

Walk into any room with the confidence that you know your sh*t. Do your future self a favor and sign up today.

Macro Monkey Says

Shoppers Dump Cheerios for Toasted O’s

Recent earnings from big consumer brands are shedding light on shifting spending patterns going into Q4.

We saw with Walmart and Target that the former is snatching share from the latter, as consumers broadly trade down to protect purchasing power. Walmart’s bread and butter of staple goods like groceries and plain t-shirts have held up better than the higher-end products Target carries.

Home Depot and Lowe’s both sailed past estimates for Q3. Professional and DIY products both grew, suggesting that people still feel like they have room in their wallets to make home improvements.

At this point, there are a few high-level themes we can take away:

• Most people see groceries, whether they’re from Kroger or Aldi, as largely the same and are opting to trade down in order to save. That has come at the expense of Target and Whole Foods and has been a boon to Walmart
  • FedEx’s dire warning in September about a massive slowdown was tempered by strong retail data in October. That could be a temporary bump or a sign that the consumer is more resilient than originally thought
  • Santa may get the short end of the stick this year as millions of households plan to scale back on Christmas presents

It’s a murky picture at best, but generally, most experts seem somewhat surprised that spending has held up this well despite all the reasons to cut back.

People aren’t willing to scale back on what they see as essentials, so impulse buys are on the chopping block. But, they’re also ponying up for expensive experiences. All the conflicting signals can make your head spin.

When you really cut through all the bullsh*t, though, the simple theme is that consumer staple companies will be alright, and nice-to-have sellers will suffer. Pretty much recession 101.

Meme of the day

meme

Source

What's Ripe

Lowe’s ($LOW) ↑ 2.97% ↑

• “We’re not seeing the negative impacts of inflation.” — CEO Martin Ellison. Must be f*king nice!
  • Guidance was upped for the balance of the year as home improvement looks to be insulated from inflationary pressures slamming other industries

The Hershey Company ($HSY) ↑ 2.63% ↑

• The official chocolate bar of s’mores (probably) posted strong gains in Q3 on the back of higher prices and insatiable demand for its bars
  • The maker of Reese’s and Kit Kat has even been surprised with how well sales have held up as other name-brand snacks have suffered

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Rotten

Target ($TGT) ↓ 13.06% ↓

• An overly simplified take on Target’s woes is that Walmart is stealing its customers as they trade down in response to inflated prices
  • $TGT relies on discretionary sales more than the core staples that are Walmart’s bread and butter, and consumers are dialing back those purchases

Carnival ($CCL) ↓ 13.71% ↓

• The battered cruise line needs cash quick and announced a $1 billion debt issuance to pad its coffers
  • Red flags are everywhere—it’s got a massive debt burden, cruises aren’t cool anymore, and people are paring back spending

Data Peel

chart

Source

Thought Banana

Walmart Is a Mirror for America

In more ways than one, Walmart reveals America’s true colors back to itself.

• It’s gobbled up one small operator after another in a relentless march towards efficiency, almost acting like a PE shop
  • Low prices mean scale, which means market domination, which means gargantuan profits. Basically the playbook for most consumer tech businesses
  • One part of the country would be appalled at what the other side buys and who they see browsing the aisles

Other than maybe Amazon, no other company has such a wide-ranging presence in the U.S., and its earnings can reveal a lot about the economy.

The good news is that it beat estimates in Q3, signaling the continued strength of the consumer in the face of inflation and high-profile layoffs.

The bad is that when you peel back the onion, a rotten stench starts to pervade your nostrils.

• High earners are trading down and buying groceries at Walmart instead of Whole Foods to protect their spending power. Around 75% of its gain in grocery market share came from 6-figure earners
  • Growth isn’t coming from durable goods—it’s mostly in groceries, which is a bad sign for literally all its non-perishable vendors
  • Inventories have come down from the massive glut they had earlier in the year, but there’s still a sh*t ton of stuff on the shelves that ain’t selling

It also threw red meat at investors by announcing it’s buying back $20 billion in stock. If that’s not a signal of confidence in good times ahead, not sure what is.

All eyes are now on the holiday season, the real make-or-break period for retailers.

The big question: Will Walmart get inventory planning right next year, or will its overconfidence cause a big pileup of stuff throughout its supply chain?

Banana Brain Teaser

Yesterday — A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock at the door. She opened the door to see a man whom she had never seen before. He said, “oh, I’m sorry, I have made a mistake. I thought this was my room.” He then went down the corridor and into the elevator. The woman went back into her room and phoned security. What made the woman so suspicious of the man?

You don’t knock on your own hotel door, and the man did.

Today — It’s 50 bananas off the WSO's M&A Modeling Course. LFG!

I don’t have eyes, but once I did see. Once I had thoughts, but now I’m white and empty. What am I?

Shoot us your guesses at [email protected] with the subject line Banana Brain Teaser or simply click here to reply!

Wise Investor Says

“Investing should be dull. It shouldn’t be exciting.” — Paul Samuelson

Happy Investing, Patrick & The Daily Peel Team Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.   ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Region

Reiciendis iste rerum facilis molestias. Quae et sed dolorum repellendus porro. Placeat necessitatibus beatae quis officia architecto itaque. Animi eos placeat laborum nostrum qui. Dolor corporis quas iste enim. Deserunt et et est in dolores aut amet iusto.

Accusamus nulla quisquam natus et deserunt est. Laborum autem molestiae quis facilis quia excepturi. Laudantium atque ut ea suscipit quibusdam. Neque ad optio quia perferendis ea sapiente. Quod et est voluptatem saepe cupiditate voluptatem dolor. Asperiores reprehenderit voluptas laudantium non.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”