Sticky Inflation | The Daily Peel | 10/13/22

Silver Banana goes to...

Market Snapshot

Another month, another report of higher than expected price increases.

The producer-price index showed a slight 0.4% YoY uptick, double the expected 0.2% increase. It’s only a modest gain but still going the wrong direction.

Now you have the likes of Jamie Dimon saying the S&P could crater another 20%. Despite the dour mood, after weeks of punishing gains, markets mostly traded flat Wednesday.

At the close, the Dow ticked down 0.1%, the Nasdaq dropped 0.09%, and the S&P fell 0.33%.

M&A Science is hosting an online two-day intensive course titled, “An Introduction to Financial Modeling” on November 5-6. This course is beneficial for new and experienced practitioners who want to learn and refresh their skills in constructing a circular 3-statement financial model of a public company.
Learn more

Let’s get into it.

Monkey Meme of the Day

meme

Source

Banana Bits

Banana Brain Teaser

Yesterday I have a name, but it isn’t my name. My face shows signs of age. I always mean the same thing, no matter what I say. I’m born in mourning, and I last ’til the end of days. Men plant me, but I never grow. They run from me, but I never move. They look at me and see their future, rotting in the fields where I bloom. What am I?

Tombstone.

Today — It's 100 bananas off the Investment Banking Interview Course for the first 20 correct respondents. LFG!

I can fly but have no wings. I can cry but I have no eyes. Wherever I go, darkness follows me. What am I?

Shoot us your guesses at [email protected] with the subject line "Banana Brain Teaser" or simply click here to reply!

Macro Monkey Says

Cracks Are Showing In Fed Ranks — The resolve of the Fed to keep on cranking rates higher has been unbroken, despite a cranky stock market and pleas from the rest of the world to pump the brakes.

But the tone is starting to shift ever so slightly.

• Vice Chair Lael Brainard recently wondered aloud about how the combination of prior rate increases, along with the expectation of more to come, will hurt the economy
  • Prior rate hikes are still working their way through the economy and could reduce inflation significantly by themselves without more hikes
  • With 300 bps of total hikes since March, the Fed has raised rates at the fastest pace in nearly 50 years

The expectation is that we’ll get another 75-pointer in November. If it’s anything less than that, markets would rip.

Credibility is one of the most valuable things the Fed has, and losing it could mark the end of its effectiveness as an institution. Trust in it was already dented when it repeatedly claimed inflation was transitory.

If it overshoots on rate hikes, the market could start to be wary of its monetary policy moves in the future. It really has to nail this cycle.

M&A Science Academy’s
2-Day Financial Modeling Course

M&A Science is hosting an online two-day intensive course titled, “An Introduction to Financial Modeling” on November 5-6.

This course is beneficial for new and experienced practitioners who want to learn and refresh their skills in constructing a circular 3-statement financial model of a public company. Participants will learn how to leverage the annual report of a publicly traded company to construct a financial model and discounted cash flow analysis, and gain exposure to shortcuts and efficiencies.

Learn more

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Ripe

Moderna ($MRNA) — Moderna shareholders probably thought the company’s breakthrough vaccine technology would keep shares elevated for years.

It ended up getting slammed along with the rest of the market on the back of rate hikes, and investors have been looking for new growth opportunities.

A new cancer vaccine and partnership with Merck announced Wednesday could be just what it’s looking for.

$MRNA was up 8.28% by the end of the day.

PepsiCo ($PEP) — Inflation doesn’t hurt much when you can pass on all cost increases to your customers.

That’s essentially what Pepsi told investors this week, as consumers ponied up for higher-priced drinks and snacks.

Sales and profit guidance were raised for the balance of the year, sending the stock higher.

$PEP was up 4.18% by the end of the day.

What's Rotten

Nissan Motor ($NSANF) — 1 euro.

That’s how much Nissan sold its Russian business for, booking a $687mn loss in the process.

That will sting for a while, but Nissan’s earnings forecast for the rest of the year was unchanged.

$NSANF ended the day down 7.04%.

Peloton ($PTON) — The dramatic crash and burn continued Wednesday, as an analyst report suggested that website trends didn’t look good in September.

This comes a few days after news that co-founder John Foley levered up on his shares in the company and faced repeated margin calls as the stock plummeted.

If this thing turns around, it’ll be a miracle.

$PTON is down 13.93% in the last month.

Thought Banana

Growing Out of Oil Wealth — If you haven’t seen the renderings of Saudi Arabia’s gargantuan new city plan, “Neom,” you should check it out.

The futuristic project is just the latest venture that the oil-rich state is taking to diversify itself in preparation for oil’s declining importance in world energy markets.

So, is this latest venture just a shiny new toy for its leaders? Or could this mammoth investment actually pay off?

• Oil wealth has been a blessing and a curse for many countries
  • Venezuela has failed to translate its oil endowment into a functioning economy, while Norway has turned it into one of the world’s largest sovereign wealth funds
  • An economy that depends on one industry is extremely fragile, and transitioning into more diverse industries is necessary for long-term health

Catapulting one’s country from relative poverty to economic abundance is easier said than done since many constraints get in the way.

These include available labor within a country, available land, and a sound “business environment” that includes safe city centers and enforceable contracts.

Between LIV Golf and this megacity project, Saudi Arabia is swinging for the fences with its new ventures.

Will it pay off? Big swings could mean big wins, but huge spending could also draw down oil wealth sooner than expected.

Wise Investor Says

“A great company is not a great investment if you pay too much for the stock.” — Ben Graham

Happy Investing, Patrick & The Daily Peel Team Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.   ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Reprehenderit odit molestias et nisi optio. Quia numquam iste illo ut totam voluptatem veritatis qui.

Minima officiis exercitationem reprehenderit quasi laborum ut quaerat illum. Voluptatem autem quidem asperiores odit aperiam. Iure voluptates quidem eos quae qui quae officiis.

Ipsum excepturi nam fugiat itaque. Sit possimus aut iusto tenetur neque sunt est nihil. Aliquid natus aut distinctio ut laboriosam. Veritatis et ipsam quia veniam nam inventore optio.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”