TikTok FDR | The Daily Peel | 2/28/23

Feb 28, 2023 | Peel #408

Give your silver bananas to...

ad logo

Market Snapshot

Happy Tuesday, apes.

Could’ve been worse! We will gladly take yesterday’s slight and insecure win as a much needed break for the port after the 2022 vibes seen over recent weeks.

Despite confusingly mixed economic data released premarket, equities managed to finish in the green, although a lot less so than they were in the morning. Treasury yields were rocky but ended lower, while the U.S. Dollar sold off.

Let’s get into it.

Banana Bits

Who Wants to Live Longer? Anybody?
Good, You’re Gonna Want to Hear Me Out

In 2022, you saw your portfolio take some pretty bad wounds. Maybe you even took some yourself, but you made it to 2023 and, apes, we’ve got just the cure for both you and your portfolio.

FibroBiologics is here to save you, your family, and your portfolio. Founded in 2021, FibroBiologics is one of those companies where your jaw drops when you find out what these beautiful geniuses can do.

Essentially, what they do is the modern version of alchemy - and it really works. FibroBiologics develops “regenerative medicine”, which I thought was only allowed in Sci-Fi films, as well as chronic disease treatment for patients worldwide using their patented Fibroblast technology!

This tech is basically stem-cells, except better, faster, cheaper, more abundant, etc. etc. - it’s better in every way. If you’re in on the upcoming boom, FibroBiologics is nothing short of the perfect way to go along for the ride.

And that’s exactly why I had to tell you guys about this today. FibroBiologics is waiting on their very first (of many) drug approvals expected for 2023, so get in before the market hears about it and let FibroBiologics heal your own wounds, those of your family, and most of all, those of your portfolio.

You’re dying all the time, start LIVING with FibroBiologics and let them earn the $$$ you need to live a nice long life. Check it out now

Macro Monkey Says

Durable Goods

In the beginning, bad news was bad news. Then, for a good few months, not too long ago, bad economic data suddenly became good news. And right now, the economy has no idea what exactly good or bad is anymore.

Economic data is weird. So, when we get a string of jacked data like we did yesterday morning, particularly at a time when JPow is actively seeking to reign in the economy, nobody really seems to know how to take it.

For example, let’s take a look at durable goods. Officially and nerdily called “U.S. Core Capital Goods Orders,” aka “durable goods,” the Commerce department dropped the latest numbers yesterday, and boy, did Mr. Market have something to say about it.

Immediately on the release, markets spiked to start the day, jumping well over 1% on a 5-to-1 breadth thrust at the NYSE. But, not long after, equities began to drift back to reality as the now-apparently economic gospel of “good data = more rate hikes” came back into play. Don’t get me wrong, we were still up on the day, but Mr. Market’s severe insecurity was even more on display than usual.

Sure, headline durable goods orders sank by 4.5% on the year, but that was largely due to orders for airplanes and other aircraft falling off a cliff. Remember, economists love to be exclusive, so they tend to focus on core durable goods orders, which excludes exactly those aircraft. This reading happened to surge by 0.8% for the month (or 5.3% annually), far exceeding expectations of 0.1% and obliterating December’s 0.3% decline. Adjusting for these big-ticket items reveals that businesses overall have increased their spending as we roll into Q1 of 2023.

Add that to the list of things no one saw coming this year. As Jamie Dimon and Neel Kashkari sound the alarms over an alleged “hurricane” on the horizon, the people running businesses on the ground seem to be fine.

Now, of course, core durable goods figures and the headline number aren’t exactly adjusted for inflation. With wholesale inflation clocking in around 6% for the year ended in January, much of the increase in the core metric can absolutely be attributed to higher prices.

But still. You don’t get beats on expectations like that due solely to inflation. Now, keep in mind this is a spike in durable goods and that goods are just that—goods.

At the same time we get this report, inflation data is starting to show goods inflation succumbing, primarily on a monthly basis. The semi-broad retracement in price acceleration for these items could contribute to higher business demand, but the far more important part is exactly what we said earlier: businesses are still buying.

Buuuuttttt, of course, we can’t just take the win. Things like this keep JPow up at night, so he’ll certainly be thinking about how this changes the rate hike picture when he lays down on his JPillow.

What's Ripe

Fisker ($FSR) ↑ 30.28% ↑

• The EV startup that investors have seemingly deemed is just not dope enough to sit at the cool kids’ table with Tesla, Rivian, Nio, and Lucid sure made them regret that decision yesterday.
  • The Cali-based EV maker dropped earnings yesterday and, taking a bit of an unconventional route, stormed up nearly 1/3rd of last week’s value.
  • By “unconventional route,” we, of course, mean by missing estimates like Happy Gilmore misses a putt. Revenue of $306k was nearly 90% off estimates, while a loss of $0.54/sh was almost as foul.
  • Still, the company managed to sweet talk investors by reminding them that their 2023 plans are on track (aka, unchanged) and letting us know that 3,000 more suckers had ordered their car. A win is a…win??

Tesla ($TSLA) ↑ 5.46% ↑

• Taking a look at a real company, Tesla (yes, this is the “real” company of the two) shares gained for an actual reason yesterday. Now that’s a win!
  • Reuter’s hit Elon with the perfect alley-oop yesterday, coming out with a report detailing that the company’s Brandenburg, Germany plant (aka “Giga Berlin”) is well ahead of production targets.
  • See, the above has 65,000 orders total; Giga Berlin alone, per Reuter’s report, produces 4,000 cars/day, filling all of Fisker’s orders in just over 16 days. Investors took the day to celebrate, sending shares back over $200.

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Rotten

FuboTV ($FUBO) ↓ 13.79% ↓

• Prior to announcing their planned name change to “Fumble” TV, Fubo made the mistake of reporting last quarter’s earnings. Let’s take a second to point and laugh.
  • The streaming platform that robbed me for months after I forgot to cancel my free trial clearly didn’t use all my money, or any of yours, very well. Earnings took a fat swing and a miss despite sales numbers coming in hot, leading to yesterday’s 13% rout.
  • But it was, of course, the 2023 outlook that really ruined shareholder’s days. After a bazillion people signed up to the network for the World Cup, 2023 is expected to be a tough year for comps and growth alike. Don’t worry; maybe Messi will stick around for World Cup 2026 just to help out?

LendingTree ($TREE) ↓ 13.56% ↓

• In today’s second edition of making cents with no sense, shares in online lender LendingTree tumbled after a surprisingly not-bad quarter.
  • Sales at the digital lender came roughly in line with expectations while EPS of $0.38 managed to beat. Obviously, shares sold off subsequently, thanks to poor guidance.
  • Needless to say, the market for credit (aka money) has gotten a lot more expensive for borrowers over the past year, drying up LendingTree’s market somewhat. In aggregate, borrowers that resort to online platforms like LendingTree have demonstrated, let’s call it, “less creditworthiness” than borrowers from, y’know, banks.

Data Peel

Manufacturers’ New Orders: Durable Goods

data peel

Source

Thought Banana

Tiktok FDR

Historically, common pastimes of former Presidents include things like philanthropy and getting paid more money than you’ll ever see in your life for a 10-minute speech at some Ivy League graduation. Now, however, playing Overwatch with elite levels of sh*t-talk appears to be Obama and Trump’s favorite thing to do, and even current President Biden gets in on the action sometimes.

Setting aside the fact that Obama definitely runs those boomers off the map (I mean, he is ~20yrs younger), these definitely-not-deepfakes have taken over TikTok in recent weeks. But, digging a little deeper, we find that other political trends are bursting onto the app as well; they’re just a little quieter.

Jeff Jackson is a freshman member of Congress out of North Carolina’s 14th district, which encompasses much of the city of Charlotte, the U.S.’s second-largest financial hub by AUM, and the surrounding area. A member of the Democratic party, Jackson is a hot 40-year-old that might have just FDR’d social media.

To use a radio today, I’m pretty sure you’re legally required to live in an old folks home or be working on a construction site. But back when FDR was elected, this was the hot new technology, and through his mastery of the “Fireside Chats,” FDR showed Presidents to follow exactly how to speak to everyone and do it successfully.

Who cares about any of this? Well, Jeff Jackson does, and that’s for sure, as his Tiktok account has quietly ballooned to nearly 500k followers despite maybe 0.5% of you reading this knowing who he was before I blessed your brain.

Jackson has formatted his TIktok in a way that other politicians will have no choice but to notice over the coming years. In his videos, Jackson sits arguably uncomfortably close to the camera and (allegedly) gives it to the viewer straight.

Typically ranging from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, Jackson leverages Tiktok’s favorability with the youth to take the opportunity to speak directly to voters. As a freshman in Congress, the only way to get media attention is to either call for the death of the other party’s leader or lie about literally everything on your resume. Jackson, on the other hand, is doing exactly what countless other content creators with something to say have done: starting a channel on social media and delivering his message.

Now, that’s about all I personally know about the guy. For all we know, he could believe clubbing baby seals is fun batting practice. But what we do know is that Jeff Jackson is damn good at social media, and if his attention keeps growing the way it has, expect to see Bernie or Kevin McCarthy hitting the griddy on the app fairly soon.

New media formats have often been a game-changer in politics, like the radio for FDR or the TV for Kennedy and Reagan. Obama was decent at social media back in ‘08 and 2012, but Jeff Jackson is taking things to another level. The idea seems to be to get straight to the point in a simple, “facts-only” manner that contains your grandpa’s level of information in a time your attention span can handle. Genius.

Whether it works long-term or not, it’s hard to imagine that politics going DTC to the youngest among us won’t play a big role in future elections. No young person today watches Fox or MSNBC, but they might stumble across @jeffjacksonnc on their FYP.

The big question: Did Jeff Jackson figure out a way to get young people into politics? Is short-hand video on mobile-based platforms the new wave for politicians looking to spread their message? Will others hop on the train by 2024?

Banana Brain Teaser

Yesterday — If you toss a coin 10 times and it lands heads up every time, what are the chances it will land heads up if you toss it again?

There is a 50/50 chance of each toss being either heads or tails. The previous toss does not impact the next toss.

Today — It’s 150 bananas off the Venture Capital Course for the first 3 correct respondents. LFG!

I have seven letters and am something you eat. My only anagram can help your pain. If you remove my first 2 letters I wear things down. Removing my first 3 letters is an adjective and removing my first 4 letters leaves a measure of time. What am I?

Shoot us your guesses at [email protected] with the subject line Banana Brain Teaser or simply click here to reply!

Wise Investor Says

“Investing is like a diet: the best plan is the one you can stick to.” — Nick Maggiulli

Happy Investing, Patrick & The Daily Peel Team Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.   ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Ut recusandae et deserunt fugiat voluptas cum possimus deleniti. Aperiam et soluta rem dolores magnam possimus. Occaecati consequatur enim soluta est aperiam. Velit sunt omnis dolorem est aut et dolorum. Aperiam repudiandae voluptas accusantium.

Ipsum et reiciendis error reprehenderit. Earum et molestias quo maxime at deserunt eum. Laboriosam cumque tempore in.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”