Agreed. My experience is junior VP and senior associate is the sweet spot for cuts because it's sort of no-man's land . . more senior folks have poltical capital and clients, and more junior folks are cheaper.

Avoid overweighting this consideration though. It's just one factor. The strongest factor is still that top performers at any level are safer than others.

Would "turmoil" be the correct term for the current state of the markets? Most of the global markets, and none of the US markets are currently even in a bear market. Especially given Powell's comments and the jobs report today, I wouldn't say the markets are in turmoil. That doesn't mean jobs aren't at risk though. Just a thought.

Don't @ me

Most Helpful

Hit the hardest? Definitely VP, at this level you're not quite yet bringing in revenue, you're very expensive to the firm and a good mid-senior associate should be able to do your job. I remember speaking to an associate at a BB 10yrs ago when I was still at uni and he was telling me most VPs left or were let go. That said I also know someone who worked at Lehman and survived a restructuring at another bank later as VP, he was very good, MDs loved him and he was flexible with changing teams (I think he moved between 3-4 industry groups over a few years), so you can get protected in bad times if you're good.

Next in line I'd say is 'trimming the fat' for MDs & Ds, so while in good times the bank could give an MD/D another year to recover from a bad year, or support a group with, say, 1 MD and 2 EDs because they had strong deal flow that year, when the market turns I would think there's more scrutinity and less tolerance for underperforming revenue generators.

Generally speaking AN and AS levels are the least affected (relative to other levels, that is), because you're cheap & actually the guys doing the work. Unless they close your industry/product line or you're in a team of 10 analysts, then you should be fine.

Are you referring to groups or deal teams with 10 analysts? I could be wrong but don’t a lot of groups have more than 10 like GS NR or even a generalist EB like CVP or MOE (not asking about a LAZ that would place its class of 30-40 into different groups). Would those types of firms trim their analyst count?

Directors, generally, are eat what they kill comp wise. They're supposed to be bringing in engagements / revenue. VP's still get comp'd in same fashion as associates and analysts. That's why they're so 86'able.

Ace all your PE interview questions with the WSO Private Equity Prep Pack: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/guide/private-equity-interview-prep-questions

Maybe I don’t quite understand the rationale for who gets cut in lean times, but it would seem to me the best thing would be to try and retain good performers through the bust (albeit with reduced incentive comp) with the promise that bonuses will rebound once the market turns. Not like they could easily lateral out if the sector/product is struggling across the Street.

Deleniti doloremque fuga aliquam nihil corrupti minima ut. Inventore libero blanditiis incidunt possimus alias. Ipsa animi accusamus omnis quaerat voluptatibus dolorem expedita sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”