2024 graduate navigating graduate eligibility restrictions
Would appreciate some advice from people who have seen similar situations in London / Europe.
I graduated in 2024 from a top European school and recently completed a long-awaited off-cycle internship at a BB, but unfortunately did not receive a return offer.
I am now looking for another opportunity in IB, but I am running into following issue: a lot of off-cycle internships and graduate programmes currently require candidates to graduate no earlier than January 2026, which effectively makes me ineligible despite having relevant experience.
A few questions:
- Has anyone successfully navigated this situation after being 1–2 years out of university?
- Is enrolling in another Master’s / postgraduate programme a legitimate way to become eligible for internships again? If so, are there relatively inexpensive ways of doing this rather than spending a bank on a degree purely for recruiting eligibility?
- Are there particular banks, boutiques or geographies that tend to be more flexible on graduation-date requirements?
- At this stage, is it more realistic to focus exclusively on lateral Analyst roles rather than internships / graduate programmes? The rest of my experience is at lesser-known corporate finance roles, so I am not sure how competitive I would be for lateral hiring.
Would especially appreciate perspectives from people who missed the standard graduate recruiting window and managed to find their way back into IB.
I do not want this to come across as overly pessimistic, and I know I will ultimately be fine, but I would be lying if I said the situation was not getting frustrating. Most of my close peers are now Analysts 2–3 or even Associates, while I still feel like I am trying to get onto the starting line applying to internships. Mainly trying to understand what the most rational strategy is from here.
Apply to what you can is all I can say. Some places don’t have all the restrictions - even bulge brackets (I.e. Barclays, MS &Jeff) - or maybe they’re not stated explicitly but understood internally. But with off - cycle experience should be fine . I’d aim for other off cycles or grad roles if you can
Maiores dolores ex debitis. Repellat voluptates reprehenderit beatae alias et nulla blanditiis. Voluptas sed natus dolor. Molestias aperiam consequatur voluptatum enim.
Et ex porro aut dolores. Sit consequuntur quos recusandae asperiores. Non ea et non laboriosam autem labore natus. Dolor nulla est labore. Et delectus dolorem libero. Iusto placeat quis exercitationem ea rerum est vel.
Perspiciatis omnis aut tempore distinctio hic quas earum. Ut neque at quo nisi adipisci. Ullam consectetur autem itaque eius.
See All Comments - 100% Free
WSO depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something. Unlock with your email and get bonus: 6 financial modeling lessons free ($199 value)
or Unlock with your social account...