Am I screwed for 2025 (Target, no first rounds)

Sophomore at a target school with an objectively decent resume (multiple buy-side internships, high test scores, high GPA). Applied to around 25 firms so far with no responses. Lots of people around me have been getting interviews and offers, but I can't seem to land anything, and not really sure how to proceed.

Should I continue to network and potentially apply to some smaller MM's? Should I be focusing my networking on a couple of banks instead of trying to cast a wide net? Is it even worth networking atp since I'm getting little to no responses? I've tailored my resume and cover letters and don't know what else I can be doing.

Essentially wondering how I should approach these next couple of weeks - it feels like time is running out and firms are filling spots rapidly. Thanks for any advice. 

Most Helpful

Best advice would be quality over quantity at this point- pick ~3 groups that haven’t moved yet and network super hard with alums from your school, should be enough to give you a few strong SDs and a good chance at an offer

this is so true tbh we literally do not have time to talk to 5+ ppl at each firm

I think that’s a great number! I think at the end of the day it’s luck… you could be the smartest guy in the room but if some person doesn’t root for you then you won’t get the interview. I’m from a non-target and I networked with 104 current bankers... I’m struggling to get interviews. It really is just luck, cause most kids have the same answers to technicals and behaviorals. In my eyes no one is really unique cause every student on WSO can do the job realistically. 

My piece of advice would be to reach out to your alumni ASAP. And email them and said you submitted an app and would love to quickly chat. 

Omnis id atque est veritatis eveniet animi quia. Quia numquam deserunt rerum inventore praesentium cupiditate in.

Sint optio reiciendis consectetur ea. Esse repellendus architecto eius commodi perspiciatis omnis. Temporibus voluptatem omnis corrupti et nihil non.

Voluptates aliquid voluptatem omnis quia. Et aut occaecati quos aut ut velit qui quibusdam.

Et quisquam iste quae omnis quis necessitatibus aliquam ipsa. Et sed vitae laudantium corporis qui consectetur labore. Ut sed non nobis ea odio. Consequuntur velit labore ut necessitatibus perspiciatis placeat qui voluptas.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”