Chicago banking scene 2023?

Saw a few posts from a few years back re: the scene. Just curious what top shops are, banking firms, exits, etc.

Grew up near the city so pretty interested in targeting FT opps verses NYC in CHI

5 Comments
 
Most Helpful

Big focus on MM banks like Blair, Baird, Lincoln and a few others. I know there are a few BB groups here but someone else can comment about that as I have no clue. Generally, most bankers you meet here are at a MM shop.

Overall, the Chicago high finance market is ultra competitive because although there are many opportunities, there aren’t nearly as many as NY and there is a very high demand due to several target schools in the area, a significant decrease in cost of living and relatively better culture (emphasis on “relatively” bc some shops are SWEATY).

I was lucky enough to lateral into an IB role here during 2022, but looking for PE opportunities has been hell. They are few and far between and every I-Banker and their mother are gunning for these roles alongside myself. I love it here and will try and be patient so I can hopefully make a nest but I’m going to have to up the ante if I want to stand out to buyout firms in the area.

 

Aperiam voluptatibus quia vel est illo quia eos autem. Consequatur voluptatem et est ab deleniti vero. Aut voluptates quos est quibusdam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”