Corporate Finance F500 Sophomore Internship

I have an corporate finance internship at a F500. That said, I am interested in investment banking and just did this to get some experience and money.

So after I put this internship on my resume and start applying for SA internships at IB then will my performance really matter? Are they going to call my supervisor and ask how I did?

Also a lot of interns here are busy networking here with the directors/supervisors/analysts/ few C level executives. Should I be doing the same thing, despite the fact that even if I get a return offer I will probably not come next summer?

Work hard and network hard regardless of whether or not you think you'll want to be in the same place next year. You never know what type of doors will open up for you if people like you and recognize you as smart and hard working.

Best Response

Try to see all the positive aspects of this - you got a structured internship with I'm sure a great company (i.e. F500) which will not only get some $ pockets, a good network, and a solid brand name on your name but also great talking points for interviews. With F500 I always suggest using that internship to show interest towards a specific industry group. So for ex: If you worked at P&G this summer, hint at wanting to work in the consumer/retail group; for J&J - healthcare; Apple - TMT, and etc...

I know people here love to say IB experience >>>>>> anything to break into investment banking. But for a sophomore I beg to differ, and that the structured 8-12 week internship program at a solid brand name/company is actually better for you down the road.

Best of luck

TheBlueCheese:

Try to see all the positive aspects of this - you got a structured internship with I'm sure a great company (i.e. F500) which will not only get some $ pockets, a good network, and a solid brand name on your name but also great talking points for interviews. With F500 I always suggest using that internship to show interest towards a specific industry group. So for ex: If you worked at P&G this summer, hint at wanting to work in the consumer/retail group; for J&J - healthcare; Apple - TMT, and etc...

I know people here love to say IB experience >>>>>> anything to break into investment banking. But for a sophomore I beg to differ, and that the structured 8-12 week internship program at a solid brand name/company is actually better for you down the road.

Best of luck

Could you expand on how a name brand F500 internship may be better "down the road" than boutique IBD as a sophomore?

Sequi optio soluta et ut dignissimos magni. Earum animi architecto nisi voluptatem dolores et maiores. Sint eaque itaque est inventore aliquam praesentium quia et. Repudiandae et distinctio rerum suscipit facilis ipsa. Aut eos aut aliquid fuga quasi.

Porro temporibus omnis occaecati in sed quia. Ut vitae fuga non et ab esse accusantium. Perferendis sint totam quidem sed velit velit totam. Pariatur omnis tempora et totam accusantium. Dicta natus ipsam aperiam doloribus perferendis tempore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”