Applying after a gap year is brutal, especially if you don't have an extremely good reason to be taking that gap year (e.g., travel abroad, nonprofit work, internship, etc) and this is from someone who did just that. The forgone year really isn't worth it; your freshman year, including freshman summer, doesn't matter at all for finance recruiting, so just apply to be a sophomore transfer and apply for those schools again. Sure, they're competitive, but you're clearly capable of getting in.

Most Helpful

No, get on the phone and explain the situation without mentioning IB specifically and say I made a mistake in my decision due to pressures from family or counselors or whatever but I want to remedy this bc I want to attend X as i believe it positions me better for my future and fits me better as a person. Schools want to keep yield up, so get on the phone with Ross (best regarded out the schools u listed), and make your case. If they offered admission to you they probably will make room for you, or at least offer you a spot next year, which you should suggest (I’d also be happy to be offered a spot in the class of 27 and would matriculate if given the opportunity or something like that). They’re not a scorned lover they’re a business so just be professional (somewhat) honest and go for it ASAP. It’s not too late but if you keep waiting it will be.

Just apply next year after a gap year. Your gpa will tank with engineering and you might not be able to transfer into a bschool which cares about you doing well in your quantitative classes, which you'll likely get a 2.5-3.0 in if you're in eng. school

I mean honestly if you want to go into VC down the line then engineering might actually be a better degree. Specialize in a certain type of engineering like bioengineering/mechanical/electrical/CS then consulting/startup/medical devices then VC or you could do an MBA at a top school(they love engineers). For IBD the finance targets might be a better option but if you're looking at those schools to get into PE/VC then your engineering school should be fine. You'll also be left with more options in case you decide finance isn't for you and you'll have a more intellectually rewarding experience. 

I've met a lot of international students who did a gap year either during or right before college, perhaps it's less uncommon to so do in other countries. There are lots of benefits to taking a gap year but take it only if you believe you can utilize the time to have interesting, impactful or worldly experiences. 

Haha yeah in the upper edge of the top tier public engineering schools (think uiuc, gatech, purdue, michigan, ucla, ut-Austin) like you mentioned. That’s definetly interesting to hear, thanks for reaching out!

Corporis libero optio in. Quia soluta ullam laborum. Ipsam deleniti aut ea quia eveniet numquam. Minima quia sit ratione dolores. Aut et non eius porro optio nisi aspernatur pariatur. Mollitia dolorem nulla qui ea similique ut. Voluptatibus ut laudantium tempora occaecati qui.

Aperiam est voluptatum veritatis qui et. Veniam dolorem et doloribus ut. Aperiam omnis ut cumque perspiciatis repudiandae quia ea. Vitae omnis inventore tempore sunt eos.

Ut ut sit doloremque est nobis aut illo. Nihil maiores alias sunt non quisquam veritatis. Repellendus et cupiditate accusantium magnam.

Consequatur similique optio consequatur totam quis libero accusantium dolores. Repellat qui quia beatae molestias ea saepe ea. Ut occaecati facilis error minus et voluptas distinctio debitis. Amet laudantium nam aut fugiat ea necessitatibus occaecati. Minus aut est ipsum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”