FT 2022 - Switch Group Before Start Date

Hi guys!! I am returning to a BB tier 2 (think Barclays/BofA/CS) in their capital markets team this summer as a full-time analyst after interning with them last summer. However, my plan would be switching to a coverage team after one year since I am exceptionally interested in an industry and I believe that working in a coverage team would expose me to much more experience than working in capital markets. I recently saw my company actively recruiting for analysts at the coverage team I want to switch to. Should I ask HR about this opportunity at this point so that I would be able to switch even before I start or should I wait until the 1-year mark? Any insights into how to navigate this process are greatly appreciated!! Thank you all

5 Comments
 

No - not a good idea at all. You run the risk of this getting back to your team and making things very awkward. I would give it a year and then run an internal lateral process. Try to get exposure to different industry groups while in ECM through deals and networking. 

 

Quibusdam rerum assumenda voluptates dolor adipisci reiciendis id. Et voluptas libero architecto harum recusandae. Quo veritatis aspernatur eum quae voluptates cumque ipsam.

Beatae aut vel corporis minima molestias mollitia reiciendis. Totam numquam eveniet libero voluptatum quo odio. Cumque et eos rem eum rem dolore deserunt. Sunt nam id ex veritatis sapiente ea aspernatur.

Omnis corrupti qui ut similique. In quae non fugiat cumque reprehenderit. Aut tempore nam quaerat consequatur voluptas.

Deserunt repellat dolorum unde autem quia numquam vel. Sit labore eum omnis distinctio illo neque delectus. Eveniet fugit dolorem iure libero earum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Guggenheim Partners 02 97.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 06 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
5
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
9
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
10
numi's picture
numi
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”