Interview with headhunters now or 2023 post-lateral (or both)?

Currently doing M&A in a regional (Charlotte/Miami/Atlanta) office of a MM bank. Planning on trying to lateral to NYC via an EB or BB next year if possible. However (to my surprise) headhunters still reached out asking to meet. Should I interview now and keep them updated if/when I lateral, or should I wait until my profile is stronger? Don’t want to miss a stray interview I could still get this year, but at the same time, I’m worried that a HH’s first (and most important) impression of me while at a weaker bank could leave me struggling to find opportunities even after I lateral.

Mostly interested in UMM/MM and Growth. I went to a nontarget with a 3.6, so unless I get into an especially good group in NYC, I don't love my MF chances anyway (though if I got an interview I'd still go for it). I had a friend who did NYC BB -> strong NYC MMPE -> strong GE tell me to talk with the HHs, so I'm a bit conflicted. Only Oxbridge has asked to meet, so could I perhaps meet with them, meet to update when I lateral, and hold off on other meetings?

Most Helpful

I think that's a fair approach. Most of the best UMM/MM opportunities are held by CPI, Ratio, Amity, HSP, etc. so there's limited downside in meeting with just the few other headhunters you mentioned now. That said, my thought is that most of those medium/smaller Oxbridge opportunities would be more likely to have less structured recruiting processes? And if you're qualified for the role rn coming from [Raymond James, Harris Williams, etc.], I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be looked at more favorably if you were at a BB/EB for those same roles.

I guess you can always field 1-2 meetings now, potentially take a couple of interviews, and then make an assessment after that. Would definitely hold off on talking to the bigger headhunters until you make a move. 

Dolorem non amet earum sint illum perspiciatis nihil. Unde aperiam eum dolor et blanditiis impedit. Quos non quia quaerat eum autem qui. Accusamus reprehenderit et quas et molestiae consequatur.

Suscipit nihil est dolorem aliquam quia amet. Ullam quae nihil et magnam incidunt. Excepturi ipsam autem et perspiciatis consectetur. Explicabo non et molestias eos repellat quia qui.

Quas aliquam quo architecto blanditiis. Minima quis qui molestias vero velit accusantium unde. Deserunt enim perferendis incidunt corporis quia minima. Rem dolorem eius qui est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”