Laptop for IB SA 2021 and do I need 32 GB RAM or will 16 GB do?

Currently have a MacBook Pro but its only 8GB and it heats up every six seconds, it's pretty much a meme laptop. Looking for something with 16 GB RAM, at least 512 GB memory and at least 14 inches in screen size. Also any other recommendations will be received well, as my bank won't be giving me a computer and I know I can't work on my Mac because it is way too slow and Chrome is eating up the memory too much at this point. As an aside, I have people telling me 16 GB is fine and others saying that 16 GB isn't enough for Excel, PPT and Zoom and that I need 32 GB. Experienced people, please let me know, I will SB. I do NOT know a lot about computers, but I am trying to get a good idea for this. Don't want to overpay. My soft budget is around $1,300.

8 Comments
 

uh thanks prospect, I think I'll go with what the other guy said, he probably knows a bit more than you

 

You asked for a LAPTOP recommendation doofus. I gave you two great choices.

TBH, if you don't have your fucking computer for your job yet you're probably gonna be a dog water analyst anyway...

 
Most Helpful

You want 2 screens and a desktop over a tiny laptop. Could do it under $1,300

As for a laptop 16GB is fine for SA, but when you're eventually FT and hopping on from home you're going to want fastest possible model loading software so 32GB is a better long term pick. For now, try to get 2 screens (or at least 1 which will be fine for SA, and buy the second next year) and a desktop, and then buy a nice laptop at some point during FT if you want to travel/need one.

 

thing is, I'm flying out into NYC this summer to live there for my SA stint, so can't really bring a whole set up over with much ease

 

A voluptatem veniam laudantium aliquid fuga harum molestiae. Autem et itaque doloribus temporibus mollitia molestiae blanditiis. Rerum amet qui ipsa inventore. In totam alias et similique dolor eius vero.

Cum voluptatem cupiditate adipisci maxime voluptatem voluptas architecto laborum. Soluta est expedita est ut eaque repellendus. Consequatur numquam et eos accusamus ad error unde. In voluptates ab iure veniam ut. Aliquid quas ducimus aut quis eos quo vel.

Sit totam est beatae doloremque omnis a quis nihil. Aut harum qui dicta animi rerum. Ut debitis est sequi accusamus. Explicabo exercitationem similique similique consequatur velit. Nihil ea vero officiis dignissimos necessitatibus iste temporibus autem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Guggenheim Partners 02 97.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 06 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
3
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
6
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
7
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
8
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
9
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
10
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”