Lost 2 internship, what will happen to 2021 recruiting?

Hi guys,

title basically says it. I got two interns offers and both got rescinded because of Covid-19. One was at a hedge fund, the other at a corporate M&A role. This would’ve been my sophomore year internship and set me up for IB recruiting. now with nothing on my resume, how will this play-out for recruiting? I know this may sound childish as there’s people out there who are facing way worse. But it’s just a process that’s so gruelling and the grind without any light at the end of a tunnel gets to you.

Most Helpful

Jesus man- I'm sorry to hear that about the offers. I totally can sympathize with you- the fact that you got tow offers in the first place signals to me and others that you are very hardworking- you will get through it and you will most likely get an offer for IBD. Just keep reaching out to people and it will come to fruition- it will take time though. Good luck

The army will still be recruiting for 2021 - don't worry.

If you put it into perspective, this is probably the best summer to not have a job.

"Why weren't you working last summer"

"Oh, there was a global pandemic, it cancelled two of my offers"

I think people are more understanding than you might realize, especially since you're just a sophomore. If you end up just chilling, I'd read more, brush up on guides and when going into junior recruiting, you can bring up that you had cancelled internships. End of the day they're all human and I think you can give them a bit more credit to understand your situation. :)

Sorry to hear about that man but I think Aspiring said it well. People are definitely going to understand that internships got cancelled and will cut you some slack. Also, I know it may not help, but its better that this happened in between your sophomore and junior years than junior to senior summer. Maybe offer to do some research remotely for the HF for free or something?

Odit quas tempore reiciendis voluptatem. Nobis facilis molestias et quae aperiam. Eaque quasi exercitationem quis quod animi. Non nisi necessitatibus suscipit.

Voluptas ad mollitia maxime dicta qui architecto est. Tempore incidunt nesciunt debitis non neque eaque non. Sunt et omnis in explicabo et est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”