Low GPA IB Recruiting SA2025

I know this post has been made multiple times but I want to know smth related to my situation

I am a sophomore at a semi-target school majoring in business analytics and finance and I will be recruiting for SA2025. The only problem is that I have 3.46 GPA, and I am not sure i will be able to get it more than a 3.5, but im networking so hard, I know MDs from menlo mark MS and I am networking alot. My question is that if i am able to get myself refrred from associates and analysts, would my gpa still matter if my resume is passed along?

Most Helpful

Your GPA does and does not matter as much as you think it does. Let me explain.

Grades matter first and foremost for screening purposes. When banks get thousands of resumes in a week for internships, they need to filter them down quickly and efficiently. One of the ways to do this is to put a hard stop on GPAs. The number they choose is entirely up to whoever is running the hiring process. Sometimes it's 3.5, sometimes it's 3.8. Other times there's no initial cap and it's more about timing or luck in terms of whose resumes get shortlisted.

If you're networking as hard as you say you are, you can sidestep this process entirely. Referrals from MDs will typically always get a first round. VPs and Associates are better, but don't command the same response internally. Analyst buy-in really only helps once you're in the process already. Unless the Analyst in question is the one tasked with coordinating the hiring process, but even then they can just propose you as a walk-on. For example, an MD at one of the groups I worked at would get emails or LinkedIn messages from kids all the time. Sometimes, they would catch him at just the right time and they would hit it off. From there he would fwd the email chain to our staffer and be like "I like this kid," and we would have to bring them in for a first round. Those candidates would also then get identified as "that person md likes." Lots of otherwise non-target candidates come in this way. The interesting part is these referrals usually (but not always) end up being genuinely passionate about IB and can actually talk shop a bit.

Last thing I want to note is that GPA can still matter even during and after your rounds of interviews. Again depends on the group, but after each round, the group running the process would get together for 5-10 mins and go through each resume and get everyone's temperature. What about this person? Did you like them? Do they know their stuff? Are they actually interested in banking or at least know what they're getting themselves into? In these huddles, there is inevitably at least one person who cares a lot about academics. If they don't like a 3.46, they're going to bring it up. If everyone else loved you and your interviews made it obvious that your GPA isn't a reflection of your overall profile, then you're fine. If no one has anything good to say then you'll likely get dropped.

Hope that's helpful, and good luck out there.

a buddy at my school got an EB (regional office) with a 3.25-3.5 gpa from a non-target, non-diverse and no family connections. he spoke to nearly every person at the office. Lower GPA isn't an end all be all, but make sure you grind this semester to improve it as much as you can. 

Earum qui omnis hic reiciendis autem sint. Qui provident vel voluptatem dolor.

Ut non ipsa excepturi aliquid earum et. Molestiae quaerat quam alias. Sit ut facere dolorem minus. Repellat libero illo et consequatur quis voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”