Reneging in the 2019 Summer Analyst process

Given how spaced out the IBD SA recruiting timeline is this year, with some firms (MM and EB mostly) starting /ending recruiting now and BBs opening their process a month from now... what do the good people of WSO think about reneging offers (are there any tips to do this if you receive a SIGNIFICANTLY better offer one month after the previous one, should you tell BBs that you have accepted an offer but intend on reneging)?

I have a feeling that this year this will happen much more frequently given how abnormally spaced out the process is.

Most Helpful

Very unfair and ridiculous process. The banks have created this scenario. As a 55 yr old who's been around the block, it's quite absurd to force spring semester sophomores into recruiting for the summer following their junior yr (many will not have had any significant relevant course work or exposure to the finance world), and blacklist them if they get a better offer based on actual work experience they gain the summer following their sophomore yr. It's just really screwed up.

I guess they can because of never ending supply of quality kids in the pipeline. The whole process could use some creative destruction.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”