Sub 3.0 Gpa trying to break into IB for summer 2024

Hi as it is the midst of summer IB applications I was hoping for some more tailored advice. I go to one of the top non-target schools(finance major) and am seeking an investment banking internship for 2024 at a middle market or boutique firm. The only issue is due to poor performance last semester my cumulative gpa dropped below a 3.0. I do however have a 4.0 major gpa(one class), own a business, and have a consulting internship this summer in the financial services industry. I am on track to get my gpa to a 3.1-3.3 is it worth to send out applications with a sub 3 gpa or wait till I get it higher. I have been going to my schools careers fairs and networking with some banks that do recruit on campus. What should I do at this point?

Most Helpful

Hey OP, imho it’s better to wait until you have a higher GPA unless you are applying to a regional office or a smaller location. The ATS will keep your GPA so it’s better to start higher if you can and in your case, you would already have an internship under your belt. Good luck!

Thank you I appreciate the comment, however I am wondering if it will be too late meaning that most of the spots(in NYC) will be taken by the time my semester ends in May.

Been there. Don’t wait till next summer, push forward. You just have to try harder and reach out to boutique/small shops in your area. IMO even a little IB experience at a 5 person shop is better than none at all. Many times they don't ask for gpa, if they do…have a solid reason. Reach out to everyone, all you need is one yes.

Even a small shop internship will really help land better internship next summer.

Thank you for the comment, would you mind pming me or sharing firms similar to ones you were describing in NYC?

Architecto quam aut consequuntur ullam dicta omnis culpa. Pariatur ad in beatae rerum. Qui nesciunt quis perspiciatis fugit omnis aut. Velit suscipit ut cum itaque. Aliquid et quaerat cupiditate saepe sed sint.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”