When to begin networking for 2027 Summer Internships

Hey, I am a second year student graduating in 2028. 

I will be applying for IB summer internships for 2027 (Applications in UK usually open in August):

1.) At what stage should I start reaching out to alumni?

2.) When should I try to get a referral, before or after I have applied to the programme?

3.) My University has ~ 40 alumni working in IB in London, is this enough people to reach out to or should I try contact others in the bank since that contact list is pretty small?

Thanks in advance!

7 Comments
 

For your 2027 IB summer internship networking strategy, here's what you need to know:

  1. When to start reaching out to alumni:

    • In the UK, networking is generally less critical for securing interviews, as HR primarily handles the shortlisting process. However, networking can still be valuable for gaining insights into the culture of specific desks or teams.
    • You can start reaching out to alumni now to build relationships and gather information about the banks and roles. This will also give you time to establish rapport before applications open in August.
  2. When to seek referrals:

    • In the UK, referrals are not as impactful during the initial application stages since HR drives the process. However, if you do want to request a referral, it’s better to do so after you’ve applied. This way, you can mention your application and demonstrate your genuine interest in the role.
  3. Is 40 alumni enough?

    • A list of 40 alumni is a solid starting point. Focus on building meaningful connections with them first. If you feel the need to expand your network, you can reach out to other professionals at the banks, especially those in teams or roles you’re particularly interested in.

Remember, while networking is less emphasized in the UK compared to other regions, it can still provide valuable insights and help you stand out during the later stages of the process.

Sources: My FT Recruiting Process, London 2024 SA timeline, Too early?, International Student - Chance of getting an IBD internship in London?, Can we get a list going of sophomore summer 2019 programs/internships? (Confused)

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.
 

im in same position bump

Are u also planning on getting an internship somewhere before applying for summers next year?

 

Cheers mate. I've noticed jp opened earlier this week and Rothschild been open for almost 3 weeks and I haven't even applied yet so I need to get on that 😅

As well as spring weeks tho is it worth applying for other internships maybe at accounting firm or another finance company incase I don't get a spring offer. 

 

Sint nihil voluptatem maxime ut aut nesciunt. Enim omnis sit ut nam esse quidem. Hic magni velit et ut eaque. Porro voluptas nihil consectetur earum est animi. Repellat quaerat doloremque accusantium maiores. Quo ipsa excepturi eos et nostrum non. Eius quia voluptas nisi dolorum aliquam.

Qui debitis et eveniet sed. Eos et vero fuga vero et omnis. Praesentium id eum rerum animi maxime ratione tenetur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
9
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”