3.34 GPA sophomore Emory student what can I do? Should I give up recruiting

I had a pretty decent freshman summer internship and I have a couple of decent ones for sophomore summer(not going too in detail for identity purposes). I have a GPA of 3.34 till now and I'm a sophomore at Emory University (my semesters have been (3.1, 3.25, 3.63) I'm not going to make any excuses here. Its all on me. I didn't party or waste time with friends or drink(i actually didn't do any of that) but I struggled with a lot of physical and mental health issues stemming from ADHD etc. However I didn't seek help and just went through it and went from a stud in high school(4.54 GPA , 1540 SAT) to an absolute dud in college. However what I'm concerned about is how can I move forward from here. At this point I know IB is impossible but what can i do to break into corporate banking, wealth management, Equity research, or some small consulting even in Charlotte or Atlanta. What would you advise as next best steps. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Most Helpful

Your gpa is just a check mark, since you have a lower gpa you just have to kill it from networking standpoint and technical standpoint. I have a 3.2 gpa and made it to a top IB from a worse school than Emory. It’s not impossible just means more work to do your end in terms of making sure you are being referee making sure you are sharp in interviews and making you sure you are able to execute if opportunities come by

depends if you're diverse or not and whether you go to a target or not. If non-target and non-diverse? Then you need a 3.8+ for top IB firms, was for me might be dif

300 a week? im doing roughly ~110 with 7-10 calls per week. is this not enough for non target?

Went to Emory. You can make it into a strong MM shop or maybe a BB with those stats. Just network like crazy. You should be aiming to send 20+ emails a week, be on 3+ calls a week, and get involved in some club on campus to show your interest in finance. Would also recommend taking a lighter course load this semester so that your GPA can be better for the shops that recruit from May onwards. You still have a shot at IB it will just take a lot of work. Keep grinding and you’ll get there. 

Et et ut quam autem ipsam veniam sed unde. Rem autem adipisci ut enim. Provident minus et consequatur rerum aliquam quae sit. Dolores fuga deleniti ab repellendus.

Magni quasi quas deserunt expedita aut rem nihil. Odio ad beatae iste quod deleniti. Aut cum nam dolorem error. Delectus ut ullam similique dolores. Est nulla nobis accusantium quas quia. Ipsa nemo quia aut nihil fugiat qui nemo. Doloribus autem hic repellat est ullam error.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”